Identified USN D-Day M-1 Helmet

vette

Great helmet!

If you're worried about the color you could use a microscope to check for lighter paint. Sometimes you'll find microscopic particles of paint that weren't affected by enhancement or preservation methods (paint is far from completely flat on a microscopic level which will prevent protective layers or such to reach every single paint particle on there). This isn't conclusive if you only find one lighter paint particle but if a lot of them show up you know enough...

Anyway hope it helps and well done

Burning Hazard

Shellac can really alter the color of paint

Here is my shellac covered 2nd LT, the bar went from being yellow to gold

post-8715-0-57406900-1551548775_thumb.jpg

I have owned several knives over the years where the leather handles were treated with shellac/varnish.Two came from a Seabee.Even the Japanese bayonet he had was coated.He done this to "water proof" the items when I asked about the finish.I know these were done by him during the war prior to returning home.Makes you wonder if other items were treated as well.

manayunkman

When i was a kid (1969) I went to pick up a German helmet from a vet on my paper route.

By the time I got to his house he had scratched off the decal and shellacked it.

When i was a kid (1969) I went to pick up a German helmet from a vet on my paper route.

By the time I got to his house he had scratched off the decal and shellacked it.

Nnnnnoooooooooooooooo! ??

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1966ww2collector

post-153641-0-59409500-1555627405_thumb.jpg

Last night I had the honor of having dinner with Mr. Goodall. I spent two and a half hours listening to his stories. It was an incredible opportunity and I plan to see him again soon. As you can see from the picture, I brought the helmet. I think it kind of blew him away. After seeing the helmet and the different places where he had identified it, this is what he said... "I have to admit that I was skeptical when you contacted me and told me that you found my helmet. Now, I think I'm convinced." we also discussed going to the D-Day museum in Virginia to bring the two helmets together.

One thing he said while we were talking about the helmet was that "some of the guys had fancy helmets with arches and stuff on them".

He also told me more about the mix-up with his landing craft. He said that two weeks prior to D-Day he was assigned to the wrong boat. He was supposed to be in the 2nd wave and his buddy was supposed to be in the 3rd. Their boats were switched. He said that he argued as best he could but to no avail. He said the boat roster had him listed as a Seaman 1st Class when in reality he was a Signalman 3rd Class in the 7th BB. He said that he tried showing them his patches but they just ignored him. It makes me wonder if not having an "arch" added to the mix-up. I guess we will never know.

If you recall from my earlier posts, his buddy was killed in his boat before they got to the beach.

So, that is the story of the meeting. I left the restaurant at 8:30 pm and ironically got an email from Golden Arrow at 9:30 pm. Lots happened yesterday. More to follow.

1966ww2collector

post-153641-0-43965900-1555628540_thumb.jpg

There were 80+ pages in Mr. Goodall's service records. I took screenshots of all of the signatures that were in the files and added them to this collage. The top right is the penciled "Goodall" that was inside the helmet. This was the last piece of the puzzle and in my mind and several other collectors opinions, has put to rest any doubts as to whether this is his lost helmet. My hope is that we will avoid an amateur forensic handwriting debate on this thread.

So, just to list the evidence one last time...

1. The helmet was blessed by some of the most knowledgeable collectors in our hobby as being a period correct, authentic US Navy D-Day helmet.

2. The helmet is marked in pencil with the last name "Goodall"

3. Mr. Goodall has seen the handwriting and believes it is his.

4. His service records have multiple period examples of his handwriting that have similarities to the handwriting in the helmet.

5. The chinstraps are stamped with a "C" and "G".

6. The back edge of the liner has the initials "CAG" scratched / carved into it.

7. Mr. Goodall's full name is Clifford Aden Goodall.

8. Mr. Goodall has had the helmet in hand and believes that it is his.

I hope everyone has enjoyed this journey as much as I have. My hope is get both the 29er and this helmet into Mr. Goodall's hands again and have him tell the story on film. I have started working on it already.

I’m a believer. Fantastic story! What are the probabilities? Nice that he lived nearby and you were able to meet him! Quirky twist of fate that saved him, too!

Congratulations again!

This has the makings of an interesting documentary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

stealthytyler

WOW! That is incredible! Those signatures look like a good match. I think its a WINNER! So happy that you were able to meet him in person and get a photo of him wearing it! Just goes to show that there are ALWAYS exceptions. I would say that this is the score of the century. Congrats!

stealthytyler

One thing that caught my attention in your story was that he said he was assigned to the wrong boat 2 weeks prior to the invasion. Does this mean that he was not with his 7th NBB signal team while prepping in the staging area? If so, this might be why he does not have a red arc. Because I am pretty sure that this is where they applied their arc and blue band. What a crazy, disorganized situation Mr Goodall went through.... again, what an amazing find and cant wait to watch the video you are creating!

Wow that is really nice to see him smiling and wearing his old helmet, you've done a great job researching the helmet and also a great job of making an old veteran happy.??...mike

Amazing story Doug! I’m very impressed with your dedication to bringing the story full circle and locating and meeting with Mr. Goodall. It’s truly one of the best collector stories I’ve ever heard, made even better because I got to see the start of the story with you at the SOS!

Well done!

Rick

• 3 years later...
1966ww2collector

1335375795_messages_0(7).jpeg.c43225d97617bd32a5d99a8583f5a50b.jpeg

I found myself near Bedford, VA this past week and stopped by the D-Day Memorial where the donated 29er is kept. I met with John Long, the Education Director, while I was there and I got to see the helmet. John sent me this picture of Cliff with the helmet on his last visit. Cliff is pointing to the name of the soldier who was KIA while wearing the helmet on June 6, 1944. Unfortunately, earlier this year I learned of Mr. Goodall's passing last year. https://www.andrewsmortuary.com/obituary/clifford-goodall-sr

Very sorry to hear of his passing. That is a incredible piece of history and i'm very happy that you were able to reunite it with Mr. Goodall, keep up the good work!

30 minutes ago, 1966ww2collector said:

1335375795_messages_0(7).jpeg.c43225d97617bd32a5d99a8583f5a50b.jpeg

I found myself near Bedford, VA this past week and stopped by the D-Day Memorial where the donated 29er is kept. I met with John Long, the Education Director, while I was there and I got to see the helmet. John sent me this picture of Cliff with the helmet on his last visit. Cliff is pointing to the name of the soldier who was KIA while wearing the helmet on June 6, 1944. Unfortunately, earlier this year I learned of Mr. Goodall's passing last year. https://www.andrewsmortuary.com/obituary/clifford-goodall-sr