OCP's- It's official

LIFER

What a ocp?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Operational Camouflage Pattern aka Scorpion but not quite multicam

Martinjmpr

So it seems things have almost come full circle since I retired in 2005.

From a distance, the colors on the OCP appear very similar to....the woodland BDU! Yes, the pattern is very different but the dominant colors are mixtures of light and dark green - pretty much like the woodland pattern or even the green-dominant ERDL pattern.

Also good to finally see the USAF at least ditching the "every service has to have a unique combat uniform" notion, something that has always seemed utterly wasteful to me (but then again, I was in during the BDU era when every service wore the exact same combat/utility uniform for ~ 20 years.)

I wonder how many millions of taxpayer dollars could have been saved if they just improved the design of the BDU instead of messing around with the UCP fiasco? We may never know.

When DoD set out to replace the BDU and DCU uniforms with an updated cut and common pattern, the Army was given the lead, with the intent of fielding a common DoD field uniform. The Marine Corps was dissatisfied with the progress being made by the Army on what would eventually become the ACU. They broke ranks and developed their own patterns (MARPAT). When they did this, the Marine Corps copyrighted the pattern specifically so the Navy would not be able to adopt it. Reportedly the Commandant of the Marine Corps at the time didn't want Sailors mistaken for Marines. This forced the Navy to develop their own patterns, to include the infamous "blueberries". The Air Force was then free to develop the tiger stripe monstrosity. This whole fiasco was a classic case of poor/weak leadership at the Service and DOD levels. As you state, it wasted millions of dollars...

BILL THE PATCH

Operational Camouflage Pattern aka Scorpion but not quite multicam

Thank you

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

shawnmt6601

The Air Force has now accepted the Army's OCP's. There is a reason to this but could it be something else?

I thought congress pretty much ordered that the services had to all adopt and use the same uniform by a certain date to stop with all the unique snowflake uniform fiascos?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

I thought congress pretty much ordered that the services had to all adopt and use the same uniform by a certain date to stop with all the unique snowflake uniform fiascos?

IIRC no service can adopt a camo pattern not already in inventory unless all branches do. So they can't make a new camouflage pattern but they could have stayed with ABU or switched to something in use like OCP or AOR I & II or maybe theoretically switched to something like Woodland, UCP-D, or ERDL, although they would never do that.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

When DoD set out to replace the BDU and DCU uniforms with an updated cut and common pattern, the Army was given the lead, with the intent of fielding a common DoD field uniform. The Marine Corps was dissatisfied with the progress being made by the Army on what would eventually become the ACU. They broke ranks and developed their own patterns (MARPAT). When they did this, the Marine Corps copyrighted the pattern specifically so the Navy would not be able to adopt it. Reportedly the Commandant of the Marine Corps at the time didn't want Sailors mistaken for Marines. This forced the Navy to develop their own patterns, to include the infamous "blueberries". The Air Force was then free to develop the tiger stripe monstrosity. This whole fiasco was a classic case of poor/weak leadership at the Service and DOD levels. As you state, it wasted millions of dollars...

I think the air force and navy could have stayed with Woodland or Desert, I don't think they had to make their mess of uniforms. The probably could have made MARPAT but without the EGA too, because it is just recolored CADPAT, same as UCP.

To me..it's a JOKE to have any fleet sailor (except MAAs) wear ANY kind of camo..the blueberries were THE stupidest uniform ever..switching to the green version isn't much better..Navy and camo really don't mix!! We did our most devastating work in dungarees! WW1, WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Storm..etc no camo needed for those!

I'd rather see my boys (and gals now too..) wearing the utilities from the mid 70's than these awful things. (that says a lot for those who know LOL)

ONLY NSW, SWCC, EOD, MAAs should even have any kind of camo in their seabags...otherwise, it seems at least coveralls (albeit all tarted up with embroidery and name tapes) are the preferred underway uniform as the blueberries were NOT any good for shipboard use..I've seen were a 2 piece underway fire resistant uniform was being considered..(just make the damn thing to have dark blue pants and a lighter blue top!!!) Tradition was shat on hardcore..

Sorry for the rant LOL

• 3 months later...

The Army National Guard just went to this pattern in the last one, maybe two years, by now. There are still phasing in the same patterned gear slowly. We looked a little with the new cool pattern uniform with an ACU helmet cover or load bearing vest. lol

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

The Army National Guard just went to this pattern in the last one, maybe two years, by now. There are still phasing in the same patterned gear slowly. We looked a little with the new cool pattern uniform with an ACU helmet cover or load bearing vest. lol

I remember something about trying to dye UCP gear a coyote brown color to match OCP, but clearly that never went anywhere, if I'm not just imagining it.

I remember something about trying to dye UCP gear a coyote brown color to match OCP, but clearly that never went anywhere, if I'm not just imagining it.

They are still talking about this....

The Army has more than a million pieces of gear in the old, digital camo pattern. They might try dyeing it. - Army Times, 2 May 2018

Lawmakers Want Army to Re-Dye Old Camouflage Uniforms with New Pattern - Military.com, 25 April 2018

• 4 weeks later...

The Navy "blueberries" actually make some sense, as they were designed to help hide stains and paint splotches that are often caused when working around a ship. They are really only meant to camouflage these incurred flaws, and allow the uniform to still be fairly presentable.