Missing piece to my 34th ID collection

Sparty On

Is the "Dogfaces" book a type of unit history?

Ankrum served with the 34th and wrote the book which also includes a lot with the local area men who were in the unit.

Ankrum enlisted with Co E 133rd Infantry Iowa National Guard when he was fifteen years old and was with the unit when it was called into service in 1941.After WW2 he commanded E Company and later served during Korea as I recall in various units and retired as a Lt.Col in 1963.

There is also a Local Legend who is virtually unknown to many.Ankrum wrote of him as well in the book.Pvt.Ed Lemke.His many exploits behind the lines are of legend and many are not recorded.He was awarded the DSC as well.Unfortunately I never got to meet him but there was a news paper article about him once before he passed away.I also have a german flag he owned that came from an auction.One of the Reserve Centers here is named for him and I often wonder where his medal may have ended up as he was never married.He led a very quiet and humble life according to those who knew him and one would never suspect the war time exploits he done.

Chief Bast

A wonderful assortment of 34th items you have, guys. Thanks for sharing some of the rich history of this hard-fighting division!

It's a tough unit to find things for and when you do, they usually go for big money.