KOREAN WAR QUESTION - WAS THE PUSAN PERIMETER A CAMPAIGN?

Bellumbill

Bellumbill

Hello all!

I recently purchased a large grouping of USMC uniforms belonging to a marine who was with the 5th Marines in Korea. He had joined the marines in 1948 and was with the 5th Regiment when they were sent in August to shore up the Army defenses at Pusan. He then went on to serve at Inchon-Seoul and the Chosin - he was sent home in March 1951 - guess they figured he had enough.

I need to restore some ribbons to his dress uniform and would like to know how many battle stars he would be awarded. I know Inchon-Seoul and Chosin are considered campaigns but I am not sure that the defense of Pusan is? I would appreciate any help in this matter.

I guess I could wait for his paperwork but anxious to get started.:)

Btw, he was a forward observer for 81mm mortar company and after all those battles he was never wounded! Amazing. Thought for sure there would be Purple Heart to add.

Thanks all!

Very best regards,

Bill K.

Looks like the Pusan perimeter engagement would have been part of the "UN Defensive Campaign" 27 June - 15 September 1950

Bellumbill

Thanks Bluehawk - I have seen that but I cannot find any information that states that the 5th Marine Regiment was entitled to wear that as a battle star.

Best,

Bill

Oh, I now understand the original question better.

That Battle Star matter is out of my confidence ability, but will keep an eye on this thread to see what the answer is too!

During the Korean War DoD initiated time periods for "campaigns" rather than specific battles, i.e., Guadalcanal, Anzio, Iwo Jima, etc. If a service member served in the theater during those designated time he/she would be entitled to the appropriate campaign stars regardless of their MOS. So, a mail clerk stationed way in the rear at Pusan was just as much entitled to wear a battle star as was the rifleman on the front line. I'm not sure there was ever a campaign accreditation roster published for Korea as there was for WWII.

You could check the 5th Marines web site and review their campaign banners, count the stars, and you'd know how many the unit was entitled to. I think the 5th Marines was in Korea for the whole war and thus would display 10 battle stars.

If your guy was in Korea from August 1950 to March 1951 he would be entitled to 4 battle stars:

1. North Korean Aggression 2 Jun - 2 Nov 1950

2. Communist China Aggression 3 Nov - 24 Jan 1951

3, Inchon Landing 13 Sep - 17 Sep 1950

4. 1st UN Counteroffensive 25 Jan - 21 Apr 1951

If your guy was with the 5th Marines at Inchon he would also be entitled to display an Arrowhead on his Korean Service medal/ribbon bar along with the stars. Undoubtedly he was at the Reservoir, too. That was some 7 months of service for him and other Marines.

Bellumbill

FFZ -

Thank you so much for your response and for the information! This is what I was hoping for. I clearly am not as well informed on Korean War criteria as I am with WWI and WW2. I didn't know the marines utilized the arrowhead device for Inchon as they didn't for landings in WWII.

Here is a photo of his sea bag listing where he served overseas. Just read an article about him in a local paper - its seems he was sent home in January on a 30 day leave after Chosin - Mustered out in March, 1951 so don't believe he would be authorized to wear the 1st UN Counteroffensive star. Amazingly after all the action he saw he was never scratched!

Thank you again so much guys for the help!

Best,

Bill K

post-661-0-55753400-1526492005_thumb.jpg

My apologies - I made a mistake. The arrowhead device is for army personnel only. Hope I didn't screw you up.

Yep, the 5th Marines was a part of the hastily formed, or more accurately, reactivated 1st Provisional Marine Brigade, so yes it took part in the Pusan battles, the brigade would be inactivated just before the Inchon Operation when the 1st Marine Division arrived in Japan, the troops of the brigade just marrying up with the division.

A detailed PDF on the Brigade.

https://www.koreanwar2.org/kwp2/usmckorea/PDF_Monographs/KoreanWar.FireBrigade.pdf

My apologies - I made a mistake. The arrowhead device is for army personnel only. Hope I didn't screw you up.

You are correct, Marine Corps doesn't wear those, which always thought was kinda strange, or maybe not :D

During the Korean War DoD initiated time periods for "campaigns" rather than specific battles, i.e., Guadalcanal, Anzio, Iwo Jima, etc. If a service member served in the theater during those designated time he/she would be entitled to the appropriate campaign stars regardless of their MOS. So, a mail clerk stationed way in the rear at Pusan was just as much entitled to wear a battle star as was the rifleman on the front line. I'm not sure there was ever a campaign accreditation roster published for Korea as there was for WWII.

You could check the 5th Marines web site and review their campaign banners, count the stars, and you'd know how many the unit was entitled to. I think the 5th Marines was in Korea for the whole war and thus would display 10 battle stars.

If your guy was in Korea from August 1950 to March 1951 he would be entitled to 4 battle stars:

If your guy was with the 5th Marines at Inchon he would also be entitled to display an Arrowhead on his Korean Service medal/ribbon bar along with the stars. Undoubtedly he was at the Reservoir, too. That was some 7 months of service for him and other Marines.

Are these new Korean War Campaign Credits, retitled credits?

As these are the standard credits used for years and years, ever since the war, while was ongoing.

UN Defensive 27 June-15 September 1950

UN Offensive 16 September-2 November 1950

CCF Intervention 3 November 1950-24 January 1951

First UN Counteroffensive 25 January-21 April 1951

CCF Spring Offensive 22 April-8 July 1951

UN Summer-Fall Offensive 9 July-27 November 1951

Second Korean Winter 28 November 1951-30 April 1952

Korea, Summer-Fall 1952 1 May-30 November 1952

Third Korean Winter 1 December 1952-30 April 1953

Korea, Summer 1953 1 May-27 July 1953

Bruce Linz

Good Morning,

During the Korean War there were thirteen official campaigns that earned a bronze service star. Some of the campaigns apply to all branches of the military, while other campaigns are branch specific.

North Korean Aggression (USMC, Navy): June 27 to November 2, 1950

United Nations Defensive (Army, USAF): June 27 to September 15, 1950

Inchon Landing (USMC, Navy): September 13 to 17, 1950

United Nations Offensive (Army, USAF): September 16 to November 2, 1950

Chinese Communist Forces Intervention (Army, USAF): November 3, 1950 to January 24, 1951

Communist China Aggression (USMC, Navy): November 3, 1950 to January 24, 1951

First United Nations Counteroffensive (USMC, Army, Navy, USAF): January 25 to April 21, 1951

Chinese Communist Forces Spring Offensive (USMC, Army, Navy, USAF): April 22 to July 8, 1951

United Nations Summer-Fall Offensive (USMC, Army, Navy, USAF): July 9 to November 27, 1951

Second Korean Winter (USMC, Army, Navy, USAF): November 28, 1951 to April 30, 1952

Korean Defense Summer-Fall, 1952 (USMC, Army, Navy, USAF): May 1 to November 30, 1952

Third Korean Winter (USMC, Army, Navy, USAF): December 1, 1952 to April 30, 1953

Korea, Summer 1953 (USMC, Army, Navy, USAF): May 1 to July 27, 1953

A bronze arrowhead device is authorized for Army or Air Force personnel for participation in:

Amphibious landing at Inchon

Airborne attacks on Sukch'on-Such'on and Musan

The Fleet Marine Force Combat Operation Insignia is authorized for Navy personnel who served with the Marine Corps at any time during the Korean War.

Hope this help.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Very interesting Bruce, Thank You. Is there a site or a page that lists all the Navy and Marine Corps Campaign credits for WWI-WWII, and Vietnam. I image that in at least with WWI and WWII, the Navy and Marine Corps' credits might be different from that of the Army's.

Bellumbill

Thanks Bruce! Looks like my guy would wear 3 bronze stars on his Korean ribbon then - Put in for his paperwork, I know he was awarded a Bronze Star but waiting to see if it was with combat V or not, and to figure out what other ribbons he would have worn. I know USMC/USN PUC with one star, korean ribbons, probably a GC.

Best,

Bill K.