Pfc BARNES MofH 173d Abn Bde, Dak To 1967

CROC

Hi,

I need some help about Pfc John A BARNES III (MOH) who gave his life during Dak To Battle in november 1967.

When you study closely the records and after action reports, you can see that the main Charlie 1/503 (TF Black) battle was involved vic Hill 889 took place during november 11.
It seems that the Pfc Barnes gave his life for his camarades during november 11 afternoon around 1500H.

When you look at the official Recommendation for award for heroism established on november 17 by Cpt McElwain (Charlie CO) and all the following records, they use november 12 as date of this act of heroism and official date of John BARNES death.

Does anyone have any idea why the date used is november 12 ? Is it because the body of Pfc BARNES was recovered november 12 and his death was officially recorded at this date ?

Any help is welcome, Tks, Croc

"On November 12, 1967, while patrolling in the Kontum province, Barnes' unit was attacked by a North Vietnamese battalion. During the battle, Barnes manned a machine gun that had lost its crew to enemy fire and was credited with nine enemy kills. While retrieving more ammunition, Barnes dived on top of a grenade that had landed among American wounded in order to use his body to protect them from the blast. The grenade exploded, killing Barnes."

Has to do with the International Date line. It gets confusing because some references use the Vietnam date/day and some use the U.S. date/day. The 50th anniversary of TF Black was held in Lexington, KY on November 11, 1967. That's the date/day the survivors celebrate. Tom McElwain passed a few year ago. His brother attended on his behalf.

BTW, if you haven't been there, the Kentucky Vietnam Veterans Memorial is unique. All 1,100 Kentucky KIA's are engraved in blocks of granite that form the floor of the outdoor memorial. A giant sundial was designed so that the point of the dial passes over the name of the KIA on the anniversary of his death. Quite an engineering feat, to be sure. Just amazing.

The book, DAK TO, is not only one of the finest of the battle books of the Vietnam War, but provides a detailed account of TF Black, and the rest of the fighting around Dak To in the summer and fall of 1967. Just an outstanding read.

Tks for your comments,

About international date line, please correct me if I'm wrong but 1500H (Saigon Time) November 11 = means 0800Z Nov 11 = 0300R Nov 11 (Washington Time) ? So morning Day D in Saigon is afternoon Day minus One CONUS ?

Your informations about 50th Anniversary are very interesting I'm working in this direction, if Veterans Choose this date they should have reasons

In the Book Dak To Edward Murphy reports that TF Black Battle with Barnes heroic act took place on nov 11 and not nov 12. But I don't know his sources ?

Best

Croc