Question on Pre WW1 USMC Trucks

DevilDan1900

I posted this photo on another thread, but also thought this would be an appropriate place to list it. Just picked up this great photo of a USMC Artillery Unit. You can tell it is quite early because the artillery carriages and caissons are obviously meant to be horse drawn. I am assuming this shot is Pre WW1, but can anyone give me any further background on this type of truck and when it was used in the field?

post-156-1172114512.jpg

That is a NASH-QUAD or JEFFREY QUAD: a 4-wheel drive vehicle (hence the QUAD in the name) and the Vintage Aviation Historical Foundation says this in an article at http://www.vintageaviation.org/vehicles/quad.html:

The Nash Quad was first manufactured in 1914 by the Thomas B. Jeffrey Company, which was located in Kenosha, Wisconsin. It became quite popular during World War I and was used by the armed forces of not only the United States, but also Russia, France and Britain. One of the first motor vehicles to offer four-wheel drive, the Quad proved very suitable to the rough, unpaved roads of the time. In 1916, Jeffrey sold the production rights to the Nash company. Because of its popularity, it was produced in large numbers, including license production by Hudson, National, and Paige-Detroit. Exact numbers aren't known, but apparently over 11,000 were produced in 1918 alone.

I recognize the landscape in the picture with the green truck! I do a display there every year, on the far left of the picture, in front of that green building. Last year I displayed my hand cart collection and WC-52 Weapons Carrier.

Here's a great shot I found online showing one of these trucks fully restored which is owned by a reenactor in England, a very fun toy to have at a reenactment I'm sure.

post-156-1172282602.jpg

post-156-1172282622.jpg