Japanese Aircraft tag - Okinawa

JBaird

Looking for some help. I am researching an AMM2c grouping from Composite Squadron Ninety-Six. They flew combat missions in Okinawa from the USS Rudyerd Bay toward the end of the war. One of the items in the collection is this Japanese metal plate... which I would appreciate any help in identifying if that is possible. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, if any of you have named items from VC-96 and are looking for a picture to go with the name, let me know as I might have one that I can send a scan of.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

post-157582-0-75763200-1526345824_thumb.jpeg

On Wehrmacht-Awards in the Japan section they have people who are very kind in translating items. I borrowed your pic and posted it. Let's see what happens.

vintageproductions

We also have a great Moderator here, Eric Queen, who willing happily translate items, and his translations are usually dead on.

Google translate (on mobile phones) is getting pretty good nowadays.

First line is some sort of fuel injector (type 11 formula explosive injector?)

Second line shown.

The 4th line is the date of manufacturer/contract, this would be in the Japanese calendar I'm sure.

post-5941-0-73431600-1526349271.jpg

Second line shown.

The 4th line is the date of manufacturer/contract, this would be in the Japanese calendar I'm sure.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180514_205351.jpg

The problem with that is war time Japanese is not the same as modern Japanese.

Second line shown.

attachicon.gifIMG_20180514_205351.jpg

Looks like Google translate has a ways to go when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Tom

Eric Queen

九七式小型爆弾 投下器改二

Type 97 small bomber (rev. 2)

中央工業株式会社大森工場

Central Manufacturing Inc. Ohmori Factory

The serial number is unreadable.

Manufacture date is Feb. 28 but year is unreadable

検印 = kenin or seal of approval. Definitely navy with the anchor stamp.

No inspection date entered.

Eric Queen

No worries.

Inspection Stamp or Inspection Seal/Stamp of Approval is probably a better translation in this context for 検印 = kenin

Can you make out the serial number? There is an aviation forum that could probably help further if the number is readable.

Eric Queen

Under that magnification, the year of manufacturer looks to be Shouwa (昭和) 19 = 1944

• 8 months later...

JBraid, I'm grateful for the photos you shared with me in your VC-96 post. I'm a newbie and not a collector, so someone let me know if I'm violating protocol or etiquette. My interest is as an amateur historian. VC-96 came onto my radar because I was researching VC-96 aircrewman AOM2 Herbert Gericke, the uncle of a lifelong friend, and MIA along with the rest of his TBM crewmembers (June 22, 1945). I couldn't research PO Gericke without researching the pilot, ENS Week and the radioman PO Kaylor. It snowballed into learning all I could about Composite Squadron ninety-six and sharing what I learned with descendants of squadron members. It's a personal pleasure to locate children, grandchildren, and share the history. So I'm going to shamelessly solicit any information, stories or photographs of VC-96. They flew from the USS Rudyerd Bay and USS Shamrock Bay (1945).

JBraid, I'm grateful for the photos you shared with me in your VC-96 post. I'm a newbie and not a collector, so someone let me know if I'm violating protocol or etiquette. My interest is as an amateur historian. VC-96 came onto my radar because I was researching VC-96 aircrewman AOM2 Herbert Gericke, the uncle of a lifelong friend, and MIA along with the rest of his TBM crewmembers (June 22, 1945). I couldn't research PO Gericke without researching the pilot, ENS Week and the radioman PO Kaylor. It snowballed into learning all I could about Composite Squadron ninety-six and sharing what I learned with descendants of squadron members. It's a personal pleasure to locate children, grandchildren, and share the history. So I'm going to shamelessly solicit any information, stories or photographs of VC-96. They flew from the USS Rudyerd Bay and USS Shamrock Bay (1945).

PBANKS, Information is what it's all about. Asking or giving. Welcome to the site!

PBanks, you are most welcome for all the photograph copies is sent. If you come up with some other names, let me know and I'll search the album. Thanks for the information you have passed along to me as well!

Jeff

• 5 years later...
Navymm98

Hey Jeff! I have a Navy good conduct medal to Dale Eugene Oswald Air medal and DFC recipient I believe. VC-96.