M-1874 Haversack

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 78 posted. Hours of tracking them down on line has pointed to this being a 74. They are clearly different.

ludwigh1980

They are quite different , the M-1874 had an black tarred flap and the sling was sewn directly to the body of the pouch and not attached to rings or buckles. Yours has a much narrower strap riveted to metal rings, not to mention the non-tarred flap. I have only seen a couple original examples of the M-1874 in person. For some reason early Indian War material seldom surfaces.

ludwigh1980

Correction, had to look at my references. The M-1872 had the black tarred flap and directly sewn shoulder strap, the M-1874 also had a black tarred flap however it had buckles to attached to the M-1974 Palmer Brace system.

Correction, had to look at my references. The M-1872 had the black tarred flap and directly sewn shoulder strap, the M-1874 also had a black tarred flap however it had buckles to attached to the M-1974 Palmer Brace system.

From what I understand and have seen pictures of the 74 has the pattern one, as you have described and the pattern two. What was pictured is in keeping with this. I think what are describing is the blanket bag. That attached to brace. This is a haversack or musette bag. They are not the same thing.

Ludwigh1980, Just for back ground. I bought both haversacks at the swapmeet. The seller thought they were WW1. I knew they were not, but I didn't know what they were. I often buy things not knowing what they are so I can take them home and figure it out. I picked these up over a year ago and don't remember exactly what tipped me in one direction on this and the other on that. I do remember the number of types of haversacks post Civil War and modified variants caught me off guard. I had no idea. If I missed something or the information I was looking at was not correct by all means say something, but please explain in detail why you think that instead of this. Yours David