WASP wing (Josten) online auction - Reproduction

LuftStalg1

LuftStalg1

Don't get all excited now. This is getting to much action so i wanted to post it here just in case any of you are thinking of bidding on it. Item number 132616809446. I don't know or have any affiliation with the seller (503rd). A lot of his wings seem to be cast and may be products from he whose name must not be spoken. Though I did not look at all his stuff. Nice sterling clutch's but that doesn't make it worth that much more. Lipstick on a pig anyone? I trimmed all the excess off the photos to make them as large as possible here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132616809446?rmvSB=true

post-15093-0-33608500-1526326466_thumb.jpg

post-15093-0-64053800-1526326519_thumb.jpg

Here is a pic of one of my originals. The edges on mine are much more sharp.

Notice the flaw on the ebay pair in the back upper right just above the center.

post-6837-0-91854700-1526328420.jpg

LuftStalg1

Yes, the rounded edges and softness along with the obvious pitting/spots you can clearly see on the back are hallmarks of castings. Many of us here have experience with this but I wanted to post this for any that don't. Some poor souls are bidding on it. Thanks for your pics for comparison, all my stuff is still boxed up.

PS. Something else I noticed is the post seem to be the proper length (or close to it) which is not necessary if your making a fake, unless the idea IS to deceive.

All that glitters is not gold! Nice review of this reproduction. This is the kind of educational post that makes this forum such a wealth of information and a great tool for collectors. I think you have also identified the source of the wing.

Allan

I don't know or have any affiliation with the seller (503rd). A lot of his wings seem to be cast and may be products from he whose name must not be spoken.

Yea the Meyers he is offering look very questionable as well...

As indicated this is a cast copy, and a pretty poor one at that. No attempts made to hide the casting flaws. I do like the clutches though :wacko: . "Lipstick on a pig" is to the point.

attachment=1327132:images.jpg

post-151849-0-39611400-1526393346.jpg

no way-------------- I have one and is right as rain. you are looking at if real a 2000.00 wing. they are not common and are very much in demand. as mentioned above, the flaws and hallmark give it away as fake.