Iwo Jima Navy Cross Recipient - 3/28 Marines

Sabre117

Born in Chappell, Nebraska on 27 February 1924 to Martin and Nellie Anderberg, Martin Ladd Anderberg enlisted into the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve on 04 January 1944 and received his initial training with the Eighth Recruit Battalion out at MCRD San Diego in California. Trained as a Rifleman, Anderberg was mobilized into the newly-formed 5th Marine Division and, shortly before their embarkation to the Japanese island of Iwo Jima, was made a member of Company G, 3rd Battalion, 28th Marines, which landed in the second wave at Green Beach on 19 February 1945.

On 21 February, when sudden enfilading fire from a by-passed enemy pillbox to the rear inflicted three casualties in his squad after it had penetrated three hundred yards into strongly fortified hostile territory, PFC Anderberg voluntarily risked his life in a valiant attempt to wipe out the emplacement. With the devastating fire preventing contact with his platoon and the treatment and evacuation of wounded, he boldly crawled to the entrance of the pillbox under the withering shellfire and, with bayonet fixed and weapon firing, killing six Japanese in the fierce encounter. Mortally wounded during the action, PFC Anderberg by his daring initiative, outstanding fortitude and grave concern for the safety of his comrades in the face of almost certain death, had enabled his squad to evacuate the casualties and rejoin its platoon. He was just shy of his 21st birthday and, for his actions on that faithful day, Anderberg was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross (he had been originally nominated for the Medal of Honor) which was presented to his family in March 1946.

When it came time to claim Anderberg's body in 1948, his wife, Jean, had already remarried and relinquished the right's to his father. On 15 April 1949, Martin Ladd Andeberg was laid to rest at the Berea Lutheran Cemetery in Chappell, Nebraska.

I'm also glad to say that while this uniform rests within my personal collection, it will be on loan to the Miami Military Museum and will have a featured spotlight for Memorial Day 2018.

32263922_1990659280976078_2819693613766632215407_1990659250976081_39463869041480

How did you obtain the uniform? From family? Obviously, the ribbon bar is put together after the war (with the Navy Cross and victory ribbon). Also, the Marines usually reissued uniforms of those killed in action, rather then sending them to the family. If all good, a wonderful uniform.
Steve

ParanormalTrooper

Fantastic uniform, from a Nebraskan too!

RIP marine, thanks for sharing

Thank you all for the kind words.

There appears to be two names in the coat, one being Anderberg's and the other one being marked out with heavy ink (making it almost completely illegible). I know that it was acquired by a distinguished Iwo/Okinawa collector out in Sarasota, FL in the early 90s. When he passed in November of 2017, his wife asked if I would be interested in acquiring his collection. I made a fair offer and this was one of twenty-five service coats that made it's way into my collection.

When I received it, all the ribbons were present except the Navy Cross ribbon. I wish I had more answers, but I have not been able to get into contact with any surviving family members.

carbinephalen

I am sure it would be difficult to find any with his wife remarrying so soon. This is an outstanding tribute to one of our fallen heroes. I wouldnt touch any of the ribbons personally. Showcase it as is so it tells the story of this brave Devildog! ?

Fantastic research as usual Sabre!

Raidercollector

Great uniform. leave it like it is.I have several like yours. Go to displays and you can see some that I posted. You might like . Some are pretty rare combat Alpha,s Sabre117

Nick

Kurt Barickman

Uniforms were often reissued; rare to find a uniform directly from the family of a KIA. Have many KIA groups and never a uniform come with the group but have seen many uniforms with multiple names.

Kurt

Raidercollector

I agree with Kurt,I have many KIA groups,And I only have received uniforms from 4 KIA marines from the family. Two where officers,The other Para-marine. One a Bar man ,And have seen multiple names and just one name. My four from the family just have one name, I have others with multiple names. They are very rare to find .

Nick