Mauser 98K War Trophy

MSchmitt1994

MSchmitt1994

I have a vet bring-back "BYF 44" dated Mauser 98K. It is all numbers matching and is in immaculate condition. I can tell that it is a vet bring-back because when you go to slide off the band on the front of the rifle, there is what's called a "duffel cut" under it. When the GI's would bring this home, they would disassemble the whole thing, but would still have to cut the front of the stock off because it was too long to fit in their duffel bag. Luckily, mine was was well cut and professionally fixed as I heard some stories of guys taking hacksaws to them and destroying them lol.

A lot of avid 98K collectors don't like having the duffel cut on there because it hurts the value a little, but I personally like it because it adds to the history of it.

post-179717-0-13682600-1526256730.jpg

post-179717-0-62081300-1526256737.jpg

everforward

It’s a beauty, love it..!

I once had a Gewehr 98 that was duffel-cut and flat-new....still to this day the best one I’ve ever seen.

I've got one from ww1 that was cut with the cleaning rod still in place, so the ends of the threads were cut off!

MSchmitt1994

What's the provenance?? I don't see a Vet's name assocaited with this one.

Mark sends

Unfortunately, I bought this from another collector so I'm unsure of the original vet's name.

MSchmitt1994

What's the provenance?? I don't see a Vet's name associated with this one.

Mark sends

German. If it breaks the rules, you can delete it.