Undated Krag bayonet - why?

speeder3

Today I came across a very nice Krag bayonet and scabbard for a decent price. I have a 1902 dated bayonet in a picket pin pouch that I got with my M1898 Krag rifle, but I've always wanted a proper scabbard to display with a Mills woven cartridge belt. I decided to purchase the bayonet and scabbard to fill that need. The question I have is, why would someone remove the date? When you move the bayonet in the light, you can clearly see that the area on the ricasso where the date should be is polished compared to the remainder of the blade.

post-177942-0-08478600-1526183309_thumb.jpgpost-177942-0-87286200-1526183323_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your input.

Brian

Wild guess but someone probably wanted someone to think that is was an older bayonet. Based upon the scabbard (wide belt hook) and the riveted handle it was made in 1899 or later. If it said 1901 etc., then it would not be as desirable to someone wanting a SPAM-AM era dated bayonet. Otherwise, sometimes you have to shake your head on why people do the things they do to used military gear, like why would someone take the time to grind off the date.... The scabbard will look great with your other bayonet..

I had a thought this morning and checked the ricasso of my bayonet with a micrometer. The thickness is constant throughout, so the area was not ground down. I then took a look at the area under a strong magnifying glass and you can still make out the first digit "1" pretty easily, but the other three digits are gone. So it's pretty clear that someone filled in the numerals and then polished the area flat. Could this have been some sort of re-arsenal procedure, perhaps when the bayonet was removed from military service? My son has been doing some research on this, too, and wonders if this bayonet might have been used later by a police department (i.e. during the 1930's when some Winchester 1907 SLR's were fitted with bayonet lug adapters). I know that arsenals re-stamped bayonets (such as the British P14's), but would there have been a reason to change the date on an older bayonet such as this?

Back in the day it was thought that possession of Government property was illegal. Perhaps this bayonet was 'sanitized' by a vendor or owner to prevent its confiscation. Just my 2-cents! Bobgee

I don't think it went back thru the arsenal as they usually ground down the rivets flat - this one doesn't show that -

That is a rare "field trial" bayonet! Just kidding. I often see first year M1905 bayonets advertised as such.