Letter opener sword 1940

P-59A

I have never been able to understand the engraving "101st-obs-sqdn, Malone N.Y. 1940". When was the 101st in Malone N.Y. ? The other side say's "To Peg from Eddie"

post-169522-0-31517200-1526094861_thumb.jpg

post-169522-0-74197800-1526094869_thumb.jpg

The101st Observation Squadron was a unit in the Massachusetts National Guard. It looks like they must have been in New York in 1940.

Nice personalized piece.

Allan

The101st Observation Squadron was a unit in the Massachusetts National Guard. It looks like they must have been in New York in 1940.

Nice personalized piece.

Allan

Thanks Allen, I have never found any info linking the 101st O.S. to New York in 1940.

Thanks Allen, I have never found any info linking the 101st O.S. to New York in 1940.

Syracuse Herald Journal

Thursday, August 1, 1940, Syracuse, New York

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

Malone-Dufort Airport is a public use airport located 2 miles west of the central business district of Malone, a village in the Town of Malone, Franklin County, New York, United States.

Note: Although from earlier time period, there's a couple of people in this article that could be considered "Eddie". One is Major Edwin M. Lyon and the other is Edward S. Beck. Just maybes..

Boston Evening Globe

Tuesday, August 15, 1922, Boston, Massachusetts

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

That's a very neat personalized item. I've never seen one. Where did you find it if I can ask?

I picked it up on e-pray years ago.

Note: Although from earlier time period, there's a couple of people in this article that could be considered "Eddie". One is Major Edwin M. Lyon and the other is Edward S. Beck. Just maybes..

Boston Evening Globe

Tuesday, August 15, 1922, Boston, Massachusetts

Your research is outstanding! You have real talent. My next plan was a Ouija board. :rolleyes:

Thanks, and that's a really cool mini sword. I've never seen one with sentiments engraved on there like that. It's pretty darn neat.

That's a very neat personalized item. I've never seen one. Where did you find it if I can ask?

The only reason I started looking at sword letter openers had to do with my neighbors grandfathers items. He was a P-40 flight engineer. I posted the war diary from N. Africa and uniform his grandson sold me. Among other things that were not for sale were three presentation sword letter openers that were given to him over time from fellow soldiers. As best I can tell that was a tradition that had been scaled down, but dates to the Revolutionary War. A Civil War presentation sword is out of my reach, but these are within my grasp.

Your research is outstanding! You have YurI real talent. My next plan was a Ouija board. :rolleyes:

I just want to second this. I've seen AZ pull some amazing info out of the air on many posts. He's one of the folks that make this forum so great!

Regards,

Mikie

Thank you for the compliments Mikie. I get a great sense of satisfaction and enjoyment when I'm able to find information for somebody. In my previous job that I had before I retired, my job was to research and find information on subjects for Special Agents. Now, I just enjoy using that talent for others, which is great.