"The CMP & the Philippine Garands" May 2018

McDermut99

McDermut99

Here's the most recent news/media about the M1 Garand Rifles returned from the Philippines. Very helpful and interesting to watch, though seeing the condition of some of those M1s hurts. However there are definitely gems in the ruff, including an amazing H&R M1.

Linedoggie

Gotta remember those Garands have been front line combat rifles since built. PAF units were still using them in the early years of this century

The comments by some of the people on those and related videos....the misinformation they believe and spread is equaled only by the lack of understanding of the subjects they comment on. Good gravy.

Garandomatic

I think it's scientific fact that youtube comments are so horrid to read that they make you 5% dumber once read... i need to get back into a GI M1... sold my first true love when i was offered a pro-built match M1 and 400 rds for a grand... couldn't pass that up...

Posting an opinion and not explaining offers nothing to those who are not as knowledgeable as you.

Me or them?

I think it's scientific fact that youtube comments are so horrid to read that they make you 5% dumber once read... i need to get back into a GI M1... sold my first true love when i was offered a pro-built match M1 and 400 rds for a grand... couldn't pass that up...

Well, I have seen great comments on the film "The Duellists" on youtube, by people who really are into film as art, but yes, in general you are of course right!

Garandomatic

I meant that more as a joke, really. Sometimes i just stop myself and say "no" when stuff gets a little odd.

More wisdom in it than you think, though. When a bunch of people get together and they don't know what they are talking about, some truly bizarre "facts" are born.

Me or them?

At least for me, your comment needs some explanations on why it is misinformation in the video report, please.

Posting an opinion and not explaining offers nothing to those who are not as knowledgeable as you.

At least for me, your comment needs some explanations on why it is misinformation, please.

I feel very sure that you chose to take offense at what I posted. Pardon me, but you are on the one hand telling me how wrong I am when you do not even know which comments I refer to and therefore you are making gross assumptions in describing my statements as "opinions", and on the other, you're mocking what you feel is a lack of knowledge on my part because I use my "opinions" to identify misinformation on youtube.

I stated that some comments were misinformation. Not all, not yours, not any particular person's and not the video itself. You may feel it is my obligation to start copying and pasting samples of the comments I read here so that you may review them.

Let me assure you, it is not. Go read them yourself, and if you are in any way knowledgeable or impartial, you'll see them just as I do.

I'd also like to remind that USMF is a friendly forum, and you're not being remarkably amiable. So as for you, if the above explanation is not sufficient, I fear you'll have to live with the loss.

I am still trying to figure out what I said to merit the long, unfriendly comment from Chris_B.

In Post #4 Chris_B- said, "The comments by some of the people on those and related videos....the misinformation they believe and spread is equaled only by the lack of understanding of the subjects they comment on."

​I was asking for explanations on what was the misinformation and what were the comments being spread on the videos. I am not as smart on CMP and M1 rifles as Chris_B probably is and simply stating that information in the video was incorrect does nothing to help educate folks. Perhaps I was not as clear in my comment as I should have been. He did not insult me at all and I certainly have no ill feelings towards him.

Garandomatic

Might have been my comment that compounded it. I only made it in jest but it might have made it appear that i meant a comment in partucular. Funny thing is my phone wouldn't even open the comments. Apologies if I'm to blame for any misunderstanding.

MilitaryPicker1941

I am still trying to figure out what I said to merit the long, unfriendly comment from Chris_B.

In Post #4

Chris_B- said, "The comments by some of the people on those and related videos....the misinformation they believe and spread is equaled only by the lack of understanding of the subjects they comment on."

​I was asking for explanations on what was the misinformation and what were the comments being spread on the videos. I am not as smart on CMP and M1 rifles as Chris_B probably is and simply stating that information in the video was incorrect does nothing to help educate folks. Perhaps I was not as clear in my comment as I should have been. He did not insult me at all and I certainly have no ill feelings towards him.

Im pretty sure hes talking about people in the comment section, not the people in video

I am only posting to clarify that when I state "The comments by some of the people on those and related videos" this means the people who comment on videos, not the people shown in videos. YouTube has a "comments" section which functions as a forum. The comments are remarks made about the videos.

Garandomatic, you have nothing to remotely feel a need to apologize for.

Moving on...

One of these M1s would, for many collectors I should think, occupy a place in the history of the M1 rifle, and would be valuable additions to many collections.