200 year old US Marine Corps button

Ca: 1820s US Marine button, unlisted particular BMed example (8 dots, and 8 (6) pointed stars or asterisks), excavated in Stafford, VA. Absolutely beautiful example and right at 200 years of Marine Corps history. Ooh RAH.. Semper Fi.

post-153086-0-08536800-1525986857_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, indeed a beautiful button. Very scarce in 1 pcs., I've seen maybe 25 of various back marks in my life.

Stafford is 15 minutes up the road...excuse me while I dust off my metal detector

Get your detector on Brig, I do using XP Deus these days, although this beautiful Marine is not my recovery, I have recovered a few ACW buttons this year.

Historic Aerials has shown me some interesting buildings from the 50s-70s on my part of Camp that were long demolished...I have a target

Historic Aerials has shown me some interesting buildings from the 50s-70s on my part of Camp that were long demolished...I have a target

Fortunate man, hope you are digging when time permits.

Talked with old friend Dan Binder today, and it is of his opinion that the BM on this particular button likely a product of J. M. L. & W. H. Scovill.

Most button collectors know the US didn't manufacture button till the 1820's, prior to that they were European manufacture or were actually re-used British-made civilian buttons as indicated by SALs, semi-eradicated English backmarks, and American overstamps.

• 1 year later...