Sioux Ordnance Depot

camonick

Sioux Army Depot (Sioux Ordnance Depot)

Historical marker is located:

9.7 miles west of Sidney, NE on US HWY 30 or north of I-80 exit 48 Link 17C.

The monument is weathered quite badly. Text reads:

Sioux Army Depot was established on 23 March 1942 as Sioux Ordnance Depot. It was the only U.S. Army Ammunition Depot in Nebraska during World War II, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War. The depot was initially under the command of the U.S. Army Ordnance Department and later the U.S. Army Materiel Command. Sioux Army Depot's mission during its entire history was the receipt, storage, and issue of all types of ammunition from small arms to 10,000 pound bombs, all types of general supplies from small automobile parts to jeeps, and various strategic and critical materials. The depot occupied 19,771 acres and included 801 ammunition storage igloos, 22 general supply warehouses, 392 support buildings, 225 family living quarters, 51 miles of railroad tracks, and 203 miles of roads. Depot personnel assigned ranged from 625 to 2,161 civilian employees and from 4 to 57 military personnel depending on Army activity. Sioux Army Depot was deactivated on 30 June 1967.

I live not too far from this location and drive by several times a week for my work and thought Id share.

Here is an article written by my 1st cousin once removed and the lady named Kay in it is his mother and my great aunt. Link: http://inkwellmarket.com/wordpress/?p=198

post-3661-0-00174000-1525975107_thumb.jpeg

ocsfollowme

Thanks for bringing these photos to the forum!

I posted this patch several months ago in my home front thread

Sioux Ordnance Depot

The U.S. Army’s Sioux Ordnance Depot was established in western Nebraska on March 23, 1942. It was the only Army ammunition depot in Nebraska during WWII, the Korean War and the Vietnam War.

U.S. Army munitions were housed in 801 lumps of earth largely invisible from the skies, but dotting the ground like igloos over an area of 19,771 acres.

https://www.facebook...siouxarmydepot/

post-122868-0-79837700-1519757579.jpg

• 5 years later...