Burial Flag WWII

Memorial/Interment/...Burial flags are typically 5 ft. x 9.5ft

Some other info from Gettysburg Flag Co.

About The Burial Flag

The memorial flag (also called a burial flag) is a traditional military flag size. Military flags come in Garrison (20x38 feet), Post (8'11 3/8" x 17'), and Storm/Interment, which is 5x9.5 feet. The storm or interment flag size is what fits in our typical memorial flag case. The interment flag is authorized for deceased military personnel and for deceased veterans. Upon application to the nearest postmaster, the Veterans Administration will provide flags for deceased veterans. When this size flag is made from a durable outdoor nylon or polyester, it's called a storm flag, and is displayed in place of the larger American flags, during inclement weather.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

These heavy rings were most certainly used on these flags, but not always. These flags were also not always Burial flags either. (confusing I know) The presence of the name doe make me lean toward this being a burial flag. The name looks looks like SHANER and the other printing is from The Philadelphia QM depot.

Mr.JERRY
Collector of WWI & WWII Home Front Flags, Unit Flags & Guidons,US & German helmets, insignia, uniforms, medals,

Women's Military Uniforms,Wisconsin Vocational School made Fighting Knives.

Military Shop Owner & Dealer in everything else~!

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Check out our Facebook page for updates and the latest Shop news!:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-Collectibles-Shop/171226792906875
Visit our website (and visit our shop if you are ever near Milwaukee, WI USA)
http://www.militarycollectorsHQ.com

See what Mr.Jerry has on eBay this week:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/mr.jerry/m.html?_ipg=200&_sop=1&_rdc=1

These heavy rings were most certainly used on these flags, but not always. These flags were also not always Burial flags either. (confusing I know) The presence of the name doe make me lean toward this being a burial flag. The name looks looks like SHANER and the other printing is from The Philadelphia QM depot.

True

I have one from a family who had a meber lost in WW2 while serving in the Navy.It was a slo a 48 star flag with the heavy rings.The brother who was a late war Marine said the family received the flag in 1947.I can only surmise the person was lost/unrecovered or buried at sea and then the flag was sent at a later time with his medals?

In Memoriam:
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

These are very nice high quality flags.

Multi construction.Built to last.

In Memoriam:

In reading the paper that was packed with the flag in the old post, it says "this is the flag that was used when he was buried overseas" Very interesting should make this style flag at or near the top of the list for a KIA grouping WWII. Richard

Wanted: WWI ID'ed USMC Green Wool Uniform and ANYTHING documented to my Dad's Iwo Jima outfit: 21st Marines 3rd Div.

Items marked "Marquet, Marquett, or Marquette"

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

2017-donor-medallion.gif

I stand corrected. Of the four that I have (going back seveal decades), none has rings and the earlier two are cotton. This is what I based my comment upon. My apologies.

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Hello. I have a flag from the collection kept by the mother of Sergeant PRYME who died during the bombing of the MERSERBURG factory, and there is an identical flag with the rings.

I wonder if the rings are there to have a grip to get it super tight when folding??

*SEMPER FORTIS*

USN '92-'96 USS GEORGE WASHINGTON CVN-73

HONOR*COURAGE*COMMITMENT

I stand corrected. Of the four that I have (going back seveal decades), none has rings and the earlier two are cotton. This is what I based my comment upon. My apologies.

No apologies, we are all here to learn.

Mr.JERRY
Collector of WWI & WWII Home Front Flags, Unit Flags & Guidons,US & German helmets, insignia, uniforms, medals,

Women's Military Uniforms,Wisconsin Vocational School made Fighting Knives.

Military Shop Owner & Dealer in everything else~!

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Check out our Facebook page for updates and the latest Shop news!:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-Collectibles-Shop/171226792906875
Visit our website (and visit our shop if you are ever near Milwaukee, WI USA)
http://www.militarycollectorsHQ.com

See what Mr.Jerry has on eBay this week:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/mr.jerry/m.html?_ipg=200&_sop=1&_rdc=1

Wondering if the rings are used to attach rope used to make the corners tight on the casket, one would think the rings would have to be on all four corners no? Do these ones with rings have them on all four corners?

That's why I'm wondering if they are there to be held taut by the person holding the flag while the other did the folding?

VETDAY8.jpg

*SEMPER FORTIS*

USN '92-'96 USS GEORGE WASHINGTON CVN-73

HONOR*COURAGE*COMMITMENT

I don't think these flags came folded in the triangle configuration.

At least the ones in the box didn't.

They are folded into a 8'' x 10'' rectangle.

The rings are pushed in to fit the box.

I've had several out of the box but there was no way to tell how they had been originally folded.

The rings are to secure the flag on a blustery day.

Here are the rings on the flag in the other thread.

post-51189-0-63420300-1526477600_thumb.jpg

donation2013.gif