Robbins (C. H. Robbins) Co. of Attleboro, MA: Examples and Patterns

rustywings

Robbins Co. hallmark...

So maybe a lapse in quality-control that day with the manufacturer caused the badge to be mistakenly stamped with a hallmark?

Who knows?

thumbnail_IMG_1769.jpg

skypilot6670

Nice find Russ. Production pressures must have high as orders poured in early in the war so possibly a push to get them out the door. Or as you said a lapse in quality control. Either way your observation has named a manufacturer of these wings. Well done. Mike

5thwingmarty

I should add though that even though they were not officially authorized until then, the manufacturers knew they were coming and they were available before then. One of my uncles was KIA April 2, 1944 and he had two 2" wings in his effects.

5thwingmarty

I can also add that the 2" wings from my uncle were from Bell and Amico, so those two companies were making 2" wings before they were officially authorized.

Cool find Russ, good to see ultimate confirmation on the long time theory.

Funny thing about shirt size wings is that you have to look pretty hard to actually find a photo from WWII of a vet actually wearing one!

A good friend of mine flew B-29s in the Pacific. He showed me his various wing badges from WWII before he passed and amongst them was a 2 inch Amico Pilot.

He looked puzzled when I referred to them as shirt size and said he never knew of the regulation for them to be worn on the shirt when not wearing a coat (as many other vets have said).

He said they bought them to give to wives or girlfriends and he NEVER saw anyone wear anything but a full size wing on the shirt or coat.

I am sure some gents wore them, but my impression is the vast majority did not.

John

PS, now if we could just get so many collectors/dealers to stop calling 2 inch USN wings shirt size (Mess Dress size) lol.

Good points John as I've rarely seen standard 2" pilot wings worn either. But what I find odd is probably half of the photos I see of a GO with command pilot wings they're wearing the 2" versions.

• 7 months later...

I have this wing and am confused as to the time period of manufacture. appears to be a silver wash over brass and the hallmark looks different for a Robbins pilot. it doesn't look like a home made cast job. the question is, pre or early war??

post-73-0-70644800-1546275995_thumb.jpg

My understanding is these "modified-Adams die" wings are very difficult to nail down as to era.

When the Adams-type dies were first issued in 1919, they did not have fine lines between the bars of the "radiator."

After a while, some manufacturers (AE Co, Jostens, Robbins, etc) slightly re-worked the dies to add additional detail (typically fine lines in the shield and additional feather detail in the shoulders) and used them throughout WW2.

This badge could date from some time after Robbins decided to modify the die, all the way up to the time they decided to finally retire it. The findings are also pretty generic so not much help there.

Chris

• 3 months later...
The Rooster

Here is a nice Robbins Flying R Hallmarked Command Pilot. I think its from the 1950's........

post-181333-0-07203400-1554512792_thumb.jpg

post-181333-0-08721900-1554512810_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Be very aware gentlemen, there is an issue with this wing on Ebay 352816790274 that I believe makes it VERY spurious and questionable to say the least and could REALLY BURN SOMEONE OF A GREAT DEAL OF MONEY. There is a SMILO pattern ("Sterling Except Fittings" - Standard SMILO Marking) Liaison Wing badge with the exaggerated/copious fletching pattern engraved upon the wings with a ROBBINS

ATTLEBORO

maker's mark with a very weak stamping along the OBBI of Robbins and the TTLE of Attleboro. I know of NO Corporate cooperation or interaction regarding product construction etc, between the two companies. This looks to be a wing fabricated for the purpose of creating a quick and deliberate fervor of excitement with a reputable quality maker not often seen so unfamiliar, such as Robbins, stamped as best they could into the back of a SMILO wing which is a decent and ornamented wing pattern that catches the eye but the actual SMILO name is NOT often included with their standard mark STERLING EXCEPT FITTINGS so the Robbins mark could be easily slipped in. If anyone has contradictory information please extrapolate conclusions for us, otherwise......BEWARE

post-76516-0-60166700-1570774533_thumb.jpg

ya know--------- the wing looks to be die cast but, the company name is incised and the sterling- except fittings is excised. just came to mind.

This wing is a contradiction on many levels including your excellent description of the contradicting lettering styles of one engraved and the other in relief. Well done Costa

This is a good example of an old trick. Putting fake hallmarks on fake wings. On the fake wings thread, there are a ton of examples of these types of fakes. Best way to avoid them is to know what pattern goes with what manufacturer.

back a bit a humped up liaison wing with a Robbins hallmark was on you pay. looked good but, the hallmarks were crap. well now there is a pilots wing with the same hallmark and looks good but, not to clear and lettering off set and crooked.

post-73-0-11267000-1571161264.jpg