1965 Photo of 3rd Divsion Troops With the Shoulder Patches on the Cover

patches

Came across this fantastic photo from 1965 in the 1966 World Book, that shows troops from the 1st Battalion 9th Artillery (Honest John) wearing the patches on the cover, I assuming it was done thought the division at this time in 1965, though this is the first photo we seen.

post-34986-0-22434300-1525831110_thumb.jpg

Nice photo! Interesting to see a mix of subdued SSIs on the camo cover and color on the fatigues.

There are no subdued insingia's, this is from 1965, at this point not even the NAME Tapes were subdued yet.

36thIDAlex

Great reference photo! Hard unit to find represented in the early Vietnam gear and some great insignia to boot!

It doesn't seem to be wide spread through the period, if we try and look at other fotos from the division.

easterneagle87

Since munitions have a "shelf life", were these missiles ever shot in Vietnam?

There are no subdued insingia's, this is from 1965, at this point not even the NAME Tapes were subdued yet.

Patches, Im looking at this on my phone. The insignia on the helmet covers look black and green. Im not seeing any blue on there like I see on the fatigues. Are these patches in color?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Since munitions have a "shelf life", were these missiles ever shot in Vietnam?

As far as I know they were never used in Vietnam.

Patches, Im looking at this on my phone. The insignia on the helmet covers look black and green. Im not seeing any blue on there like I see on the fatigues. Are these patches in color?

Yes on the shoulder and on the covers, they are in full color.

• 3 years later...