WW2 US Mission to Moscow.

irish

Organizing some recent patch add's to my collection. This one walked up to my table at SOS this year. .

enjoy

Jack

post-758-0-69614100-1525807560_thumb.jpg

Persian Gulf Command

Great patch!

My dad served as an officer in the Persian Gulf Command 1941-1944. As an officer who spoke Russian he was to go to Moscow but they never went because the Germans were anticipated to make it to the "Gate" as it were. So, the Mission to Moscow was actually sent over seas destination Iran instead. It was in the Persian Gulf where the Allies had direct contact with the Russians for intelligence and to ship war goods via Lend Lease.

Garth Thompson

Nice one Jack, here is the other version with it's British brother

post-83-0-14859000-1525815437.jpg

Thanks fellas, I may have the designation incorrect. Mission to Russia possibly?

I'd still consider it a "Mission to Moscow" patch, and I like it very much. We had a large contingent in Moscow at the start of the war, but they were evacuated. By 1942 they were back in Moscow, and the mission there continued to increase in size as the war progressed. I wrote about this to an extent in my book, Blue Seas, Red Stars.

We supplied Russia via rail from Iran all the way into Russia. There are MRS personnel with Russian decorations. We had personnel deployed there to ensure supplies made it and made sure the numbers matched leaving and arriving there is an Allied Forces HQ patch with Cyrillic lettering that was part of this mission, too. Just unsure which specific part.

mortaydc60

One of the forum members is working on article concerning this patch and it is not what you think and not related to first more common version of mission. What i can tell you is that it is related to locating downed,missing , lost and imprisioned pilots.

One of the forum members is working on article concerning this patch and it is not what you think and not related to first more common version of mission. What i can tell you is that it is related to locating downed,missing , lost and imprisioned pilots.

Hmmmmm....fascinating!!!

Thanks to everyone for their comments and contributions. Have learned a few things. Nice examples Garth.

Jack

• 1 month later...
pathfinder505

I obtained a trunk group last summer that belonged to a local vet involved in the Mission to Moscow. I will also post a part of his separation document that describes what he did as well as some photos of the group

post-197-0-57623300-1530752511_thumb.jpg

post-197-0-92648000-1530752937.jpg

post-197-0-80367700-1530752959.jpg

post-197-0-60567200-1530752978.jpg

post-197-0-20222000-1530753021.jpg

What a great group and an incredible group of patches!

Can you show close ups of the three loose mission patches?

mortaydc60

Great group! Believe or think that this version of the patch maybe a later version or should say not first version but still period. Based only on seeing other version and also British version.

I obtained a trunk group last summer that belonged to a local vet involved in the Mission to Moscow. I will also post a part of his separation document that describes what he did as well as some photos of the group

What a fantastic group!!! Everything about it is just awesome!!!