POW/MIA Vietnam service ribbon question

IronJohnLogan

IronJohnLogan

I am in the design stage for a commemorative art piece for Vietnam POW/MIA, and plan to use the Vietnam Service ribbon as part of the design
My question - Which would be more fitting as to the dates presented on the finished piece: the entire war 1955-1975, or only when the Service ribbon was issued 1958-1975 (or another set of dates)?

Thanks

John Conway

Hi John,

I think I would consider leaving dates out of the design to avoid opinion clash. There was an American presence in Vietnam earlier then 1955 and American troops were withdrawn from combat in 1973. Even documented "facts" are open to debate as to the exact date of this or that. Avoiding that issue should help your design appeal to as many people as possible. Just something to consider.

Hi John,

I think I would consider leaving dates out of the design to avoid opinion clash. There was an American presence in Vietnam earlier then 1955 and American troops were withdrawn from combat in 1973. Even documented "facts" are open to debate as to the exact date of this or that. Avoiding that issue should help your design appeal to as many people as possible. Just something to consider.

Agreed, that would be the best option.

-Seth

IronJohnLogan

Thank you will do. Here is practice / sample for the project. experimenting with "theatre knife" materials to achieve both the Vietnam Service medal and the POW/MIA flag color schemes in one glance.

post-164397-0-72025400-1526244867_thumb.jpg