Matching set bomber helmet and regular helmet

1972firebird

1972firebird

Hey guys, havent made a post in a while so thought I would share something that just came in. Its a matching set both named to "Duffy". A bomber helmet as well as a regular swivel bail pot. liner wasnt included. They boh have their original chinstraps and texture. I can see that the bomber lid has remnants of black paint on it maybe camo and the swivel bail had blotches on it, maybe for the same purpose. Made an offer on this set and they accepted. overall im very happy with them.post-162289-0-68599000-1525746955.pngpost-162289-0-28392900-1525746962.pngpost-162289-0-75468000-1525746968.png

Really pieces but would love to see more pictures and closeups. I would like to add a flak helmet to the shelf but just havent done it yet.

Marty

1972firebird

Does anyone have any comment on the swivel bail pot camo? Do you think it is camo or rather just discoloration over the years. I can say the original cork is all there, but if I put one of my unissued pots next to it, you can see quite a difference.

Looks to be a mud camo maybe - please take Pics In natural light

Thanks

Dean

I agree outside pictures will help. You will take a lot of pictures to find that right one that shows off the helmet correctly, camos can be hard to photograph.

Marty

stealthytyler

Not sure why a bomber helmet would be camouflaged? They both have similar patina. Could have been from poor storage over the last 75 years.

Nickman983

Not sure why a bomber helmet would be camouflaged? They both have similar patina. Could have been from poor storage over the last 75 years.

I think this makes the most sense. I can't think of a good reason for it to be camouflaged.

1972firebird

Sorry guys I wasnt able to get photos outside today. In reply to nickman and stealthytyler, It seems to me that the swivel bail pot has the weird camo look to it that Has me stumped, while the bomber pot just has a dark area at the top. I feel the bomber pot can be ruled out as camo, maybe the dark area is just from the way the lid was used and handled. The pot however seems a little odd to be just from storage. Are there examples of lids with a blotchy discoloration to them from storage? Its just odd. Ill try again tomorrow at photos, so you all can properly see what im referencing to. Thanks for the replies.

Nickman983

I have this M1917A1 that is blotchy, somewhat similar to your m1. Not 100% sure if this is just due to storage or if it's a combination of use/storage but whatever the cause I'm not sure it was done on purpose.

post-169952-0-79911600-1525924184_thumb.jpg

ArchangelDM

Sorry Dean, as much as I do love your helmet in your advator I was referring to the medical one.

Marty

Firebirds is killer

1972firebird

Sorry Dean, as much as I do love your helmet in your advator I was referring to the medical one.

Marty

Haha, I remember when I bought it, thought it was the same thing, a medic lid. its a 33rd infantry division helmet in the avatar.

1972firebird

Here are photos outdoors. ill have to try again next week for more sunlight, but i wont be around the helmets for the rest of the weekend so i didn my best. the last teo photos are next to my minty pot.post-162289-0-31729000-1526126837.pngpost-162289-0-26954000-1526126855.pngpost-162289-0-60979000-1526126862.pngpost-162289-0-42507300-1526126868.png