Know the Differences Between USGI and Repro M21, M30 and M69 Grenades

vonmoen

Here's a handy illustration on how to tell the difference between an original RFX marked M21 and a modern reproduction. The Richmond Foundry Works only produced M21 training grenades after WW2 which were painted blue. Repros are often left unpainted or painted in green.

Rsb3SnY.jpg

Thanks for the post. Good to see them side by side with comparison. Thanks, Dave in Youngstown, Oh.

• 3 weeks later...

One for the M69 Trainer.

L2QNcMH.jpg

I will add that the M69 trainer can be dated by the white lettering. If it has a "FSN" number it is Vietnam era. In 74 or so, they changed the FSN system to the NSN system and all have an " NSN" number.

post-180924-0-98222800-1527523498_thumb.jpeg

A better pic of the FSN number. I will add marked training grenades are getting hard to find. Most you see have been thrown and the ink mark is usually gone. All mine are unused, straight from the crate of 50. Notice the cotter pin, it has the original correct " diamond" shape bent into the securing side. Most, not all, grenade fuzes will have the diamond shape bent into it, a small detail, but good to know when displaying one.

post-180924-0-34620500-1527537625_thumb.jpeg

Here's a handy illustration on how to tell the difference between an original RFX marked M21 and a modern reproduction. The Richmond Foundry Works only produced M21 training grenades after WW2 which were painted blue. Repros are often left unpainted or painted in green.

Rsb3SnY.jpg

I have one with an original reloading plug in the base hole. Sources merely state it is plugged. Mine has an off white colored plastic plug, pics later.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...