GENERAL OFFICER'S VISOR 1930s/40s

Jamecharles

My two cents (and perhaps worth exactly that...) :D

1. I personally don't dismiss the hat out of hand. It could be legitimate and a "one-off" custom-made one. However, in order to fully state that it is, it would require photographic proof of being worn. That would take some legwork, but might not be impossible (I remember finding photos of Marshall's odd dress blues in wear that proved the ones in the age-old post were actually his...) In my opinion, and just my opinion, it's far easier to fake a hat like this than to go to all the effort than was invested in this hat. In short...it's a "maybe" in my book, but needs proof from photos.

2. I don't think this is Maj Gen Ulio's hat as the original listing for Ulio's tails uniform stated that it was purchased off eBay in 2010 (IIRC) with a dubious medal bar (it didn't say dubious, but the bar was). That medal bar has since been removed from the auction. With having tracked the seller now for years, I think he would have made a bigger deal of having the hat attributed to the uniform (or at least mentioned it) had it come with the uniform initially.

3. On a separate topic, I believe the mess dress tails to Ulio that are being sold are legitimate. I would have no issue putting them in my collection, but I like to display things and tails are really tough to display. I am certain the trousers don't belong with the jacket, but I think that's obvious as they are made of different materials and the cut of the trousers don't fit a "tails" jacket.

4. The seller is slimy and known for selling fakes and put together uniforms. However, in this case of the tails belonging to Ulio, and in the case of a legitimate four-star general's dress uniform that was sold about a year ago...there are occasionally decent pieces. That is...if you're willing to wade through the garbage and then take the time to make an educated purchase from his offerings.

This is actually four cents...but probably worth two. LOL

Dave

3. I am certain the trousers don't belong with the jacket, but I think that's obvious as they are made of different materials and the cut of the trousers don't fit a "tails" jacket.

Dave

Plus, I believe the the trousers should have the two gold stripes of a G.O. going down the sides? I originally was just looking at how good the jacket looked - didn't pay attention to the trousers.

It appears that with this seller, if there is the possibility something could be put-together, you have to assume it is. I think the hat has a strong chance of being legit, but given where it came from, you just can't know for sure.

Jamecharles

I had time to comparize original 1930s/40s GO's visor caps to my last buy and all are made differently from each other, this means 2 important things:

1st NO ONE of them (I mean GO's visors made between 30s/40s) were exactly made in same way because different tailors means different creations and style

2nd are more easy to be spotted in the original photos !

I'm glad that many of you overturned the sentence about this Visor, beacuse I'm truly happy and sure about it... as I told since the beginning We need only to find it in an original photo!

Hope you like also the other visors I own in my collection

PS: I don't know if the visor belong to Gen. Ulio, without an original photo that proove that I can't tell, this is the reason why I asked an help to the forum... to spot out the visor between the thousand of original photos , considering it's peculiar ornaments i believe make it easy to be found, comparized to a classic GO's visor.

GS

post-770-0-61786800-1525969717_thumb.jpg

Nice collection. Like I said before, glad you're happy with it. Any item coming from that seller is going to be questioned, looks like even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and again (referencing the seller, not you obviously).

I purchased this chapeau from the same seller. Having handled numerous Knights Templar chapeaux from the same period, I am quite satisfied with this piece.

post-10442-0-16441400-1526049225_thumb.jpg

I've actually been to this sellers home and seen his collection which is extensive. While there it was clear from the lose bits and pieces that he puts uniforms together and is talented at doing so. While there I purchased a legit USMC baseballl uniform that was right as rain. He also had a closet jam packed with WWI WWII uniforms that looked pretty nice.

In another room he had uniforms on forms that were very nicely displayed and appeared to be of museum quality.

There was also needle and thread, badges, bullion, patches, etc... all the bits one might need to repair/recreate parts or whole uniforms.

Very nice guy, welcomed me into his home, was a gracious host, had some very nice things, and clearly had items he was working on.

I think he sells a mixed bag on eBay and I'm tempted at times to spring for things but always refrain

Ranger-1972

Here is a photo of then LTC James A. Ulio when he was serving as military aide to President Roosevelt. This photo was taken during the visit of the Canadian Prime Minister to the White House in 1933. He is wearing the high-collar, double-breasted full dress uniform (post-WWI version) with sword belt and 1902 saber.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:RICHARD_B._BENNETT_AT_THE_WHITE_HOUSE.jpg

Here is another photo from May 1933 of LTC Ulio in the high-collar dress uniform.

https://outlet.historicimages.com/products/cvb15111

• 5 years later...

around the web I spotted a "weird"* general officer's dress visor, obviously this is not the same hat BUT shown how many general officers could change a bit the pattern for a personal habit.
*for a 4 or 5 star General is not weird personalize his own dress uniforms.

322668591_1537309053449422_1575640516972539669_n.jpg