A.E.F First Army Shoulder Sleeve Insignia 1918 to 1919

world war I nerd

Here is a great photo I just picked up. Can't make out the patch on the right sleeve. Thoughts. I figure he was a member of the 51st, 52nd, or 5rd Artillery CAC based on service chevrons.... Other observations

3 star ribbon as well. Could be a larger star in middle of ribbon???

post-154058-0-68901200-1585913232_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Nice pick up Brock. Glad you got it and equally glad that you posted it. Presumably, he's wearing a CAC collar disc?

The Coast Defence Study Group has information on-line about which Coast Artillery companies formed the various Coast Artillery regiments.

• 1 month later...
Edelweisse

Hi:  Here is a picture of my Grandfather who served with 60th Coastal Artillery Corps (CAC) Battery "D" in St. Mihiel and Argonne offensives.  He's wearing the 1st Army Artillery shoulder patch upon his return to CONUS....his picture was found in a yard long provided by another collector of this forum. 

Stidhams.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Recently I was looking through some of my 1st Army variations.  Here is the uniform of Stephen Fagerli of the 68th Artillery CAC Battery A.  Yes, the patch is in terrible shape but it's silk and only the 2nd one I have seen like this.  What was interesting about my recently inspection is the outline of a patch that was sewn on to the uniform.   I tried to draw the outline and of course thought it might be a rating patching but the spike is what I don't recognize.   Thoughts???

SF 1.jpg

SF 4.jpg

IMG_3030a.jpg

InkedIMG_3030a_LI.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

Wow! Didn't even notice that before.  I wonder if he had SGT stripes on both sleeves at one point? Or perhaps one of the pre-war CAC rating patches? 

• 4 months later...

Hello all,

Well I bought this tunic on ebay.  Great condition, albeit many of the buttons were removed.  What is interesting is the ID vs. insignia.  the name looks like "Prt. Chas Sorenson Co L 36 inf."

But the insignia tells an entirely different story.  Could be Coast Artillery/Field Artillery but not sure at this point.  The coat came out of a Central Nova Scotia estate. No reason to think that patches are wrong or added later.  The 1st Army patch does differ from the cross stitch on the other patches but looks period, as fading can be seen under patch in small section that is loose(my fault).  Also, you would think that the buttons would have been sewn on as well if someone wanted to dress it up.  Thoughts.  Nice small cross section under service chevron. 

Sorenson name 1.jpg

Sorenson name 2.jpg

Sorenson name 3.jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (1).jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (2).jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (3).jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (4).jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (5).jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (6).jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (7).jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (8).jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (9).jpg

No cross stitch on 1st army patch. But I can see through a small portion of the patch where fading is apparent, so looks like patch is period. 

• 1 month later...
Marchville1918

adding to the confusion, the 36th Inf regiment was part of the 12th Infantry Division.....and never left the US.  I have seen cases where coats were reissued and units or names were to a previous owner. I have a coat marked to the 327th FA that had air service insignia for a construction company. I bought it at an estate sale so I'm certain it is original condition.

• 1 month later...
Ranger-1972
On 12/31/2020 at 11:36 AM, repbrock said:

Hello all,

Well I bought this tunic on ebay.  Great condition, albeit many of the buttons were removed.  What is interesting is the ID vs. insignia.  the name looks like "Prt. Chas Sorenson Co L 36 inf."

But the insignia tells an entirely different story.  Could be Coast Artillery/Field Artillery but not sure at this point.  The coat came out of a Central Nova Scotia estate. No reason to think that patches are wrong or added later.  The 1st Army patch does differ from the cross stitch on the other patches but looks period, as fading can be seen under patch in small section that is loose(my fault).  Also, you would think that the buttons would have been sewn on as well if someone wanted to dress it up.  Thoughts.  Nice small cross section under service chevron. 

Sorenson name 1.jpg

Sorenson name 2.jpg

Sorenson name 3.jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (1).jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (2).jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (3).jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (4).jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (5).jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (6).jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (7).jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (8).jpg

Sorenson Uniform  (9).jpg

Ranger-1972

The crossed cannon collar insignia on your tunic is the model adopted in 1918 for Field Artillery units, with the crossed cannon centered on the disc and only the battery letter shown beneath - all on a background of fine cross hatches. Prior to that, the Field Artillery normally displayed the regimental number above and the battery letter beneath the crossed cannon. Coast Artillery enlisted men wore crossed cannon that were slightly above the center of the disc, normally with the CAC company number beneath (FA had batteries, CAC had companies).

From August 30 to September 16, 1918, the composition of the artillery (FA and CAC) within in First Army was:

HQ Army Artillery, First Army

Coast Artillery Corps:

HQ 32nd Artillery Brigade: 42nd CA (24cm), 43rd CA (19cm, 44th CA (8” Howitzer), 51st CA (240mm & 8”howitzer), 52nd CA (32cm), 53rd CA (19cm, 340mm & 400mm),       57th CA (155mm), 59th CA (8” howitzer), 60th CA (155mm) and 65th CA (9.2”)

Field Artillery:

66th Field Artillery Brigade (41st Division) (155mm)

First Army Artillery Park

II Corps Artillery Park

First Army Artillery and Ammunition Park

HQ Railway Artillery

First Army Sound & Ranging Sections 2 & 4 (Corps of Engineers)

First Army Flash Ranging Sections 1 & 2 (Corps of Engineers)

1st Anti-Aircraft Battalion (CAC): Battery B (3”)

2nd Anti-Aircraft Battalion (CAC) (3”)

7th Anti-Aircraft Battery (CAC) (3”)

From September 26 to November 11, 1918, the composition of the artillery (FA and CAC) within the First Army was as follows:

HQ Army Artillery, First Army

Coast Artillery Corps:

HQ 31st Artillery Brigade: 55th CA (155mm), 56th CA (155mm), 57th CA (155mm)

HQ 32nd Artillery Brigade: 58th CA (8” howitzer), 59th CA (8”howitzer), 65th CA (9.2”)

HQ 39th Artillery Brigade: 44th CA (8” howitzer), 51st CA (240mm & 8”howitzer), 60th CA (155mm)

HQ Railway Artillery

HQ 30th Artillery Brigade: 42nd CA (24cm), 43rd CA (19cm), 52nd CA (32cm), 53rd CA (19cm, 340mm & 400mm)

Naval Batteries 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5 (11”)

First Provisional High Burst Ranging Section

Detachment Railway Artillery MTS

Field Artillery:

57th FA Brigade (32nd Division)

58th FA Brigade (33rd Division)

66th FA Brigade (41st Division)

166th FA Brigade (91st Division)

First Army Artillery Park

First Army Provisional Park (52nd CA (32cm)

51st, 52nd & 53rd Ammunition Trains (CA)

Tractor Artillery Replacement Battalion (formerly 2nd Battalion 54th CA)

First Army 2nd Section Range Finders

1st AAA Battalion (CAC) (3”)

2nd AAA Battalion (CAC):  5th & 7th Batteries (3”)

• 3 months later...
ArmorCurator

This uniform was sent to the Patton Museum as an unsolicited donation.  I accepted it for the collection, but we transferred it to the US Army Ordnance Museum in exchange for A PzKw IV Ausf F2 medium tank.  I think we got a good exchange.  The letter said that the original wearer had remained in Europe for a short time after the war - basically working on Explosive Ordnance Disposal 

1989.40.01.A.JPG

1989.40.01.B.JPG

1989.40.01.C.JPG

1989.40.01.D.JPG

1989.40.01.E.JPG

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Not a Shoulder Sleeve insignia, but one of the First Army designs, here is First Army Headquarters Battalion on a gas mask carrier.

PXL_20240305_222710689.jpg