A.E.F First Army Shoulder Sleeve Insignia 1918 to 1919

Here is a great photo I just picked up. Can't make out the patch on the right sleeve. Thoughts. I figure he was a member of the 51st, 52nd, or 5rd Artillery CAC based on service chevrons.... Other observations

3 star ribbon as well. Could be a larger star in middle of ribbon???

post-154058-0-68901200-1585913232_thumb.jpg

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Coast Defence Study Group has information on-line about which Coast Artillery companies formed the various Coast Artillery regiments.

• 1 month later...

Hi:  Here is a picture of my Grandfather who served with 60th Coastal Artillery Corps (CAC) Battery "D" in St. Mihiel and Argonne offensives.  He's wearing the 1st Army Artillery shoulder patch upon his return to CONUS....his picture was found in a yard long provided by another collector of this forum. 

Stidhams.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello all,

Recently I was looking through some of my 1st Army variations.  Here is the uniform of Stephen Fagerli of the 68th Artillery CAC Battery A.  Yes, the patch is in terrible shape but it's silk and only the 2nd one I have seen like this.  What was interesting about my recently inspection is the outline of a patch that was sewn on to the uniform.   I tried to draw the outline and of course thought it might be a rating patching but the spike is what I don't recognize.   Thoughts???

SF 1.jpg

SF 4.jpg

IMG_3030a.jpg

InkedIMG_3030a_LI.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

Wow! Didn't even notice that before.  I wonder if he had SGT stripes on both sleeves at one point? Or perhaps one of the pre-war CAC rating patches? 

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif