Italo-German Hankie and more

mvmhm

A little old lady literally walked in, dropped an envelope on my desk, said it had belonged to her friend who who was now dead, that she'd (the friend) had gotten it from a boy overseas, and that I could keep it or toss it. Then she turned and walked out. So, the first part if the hankie sent by PFC Earl Roth...APO 528 was in Rome in 1944 when this was sent. There's also two V-mails between the two. There's also several pieces of Japanese occupation currency, some coins from the Dutch East indies, and a few photographs. In theory they could be from Earl as well, but the handwriting doesn't look that close...

Mark sends

post-3423-0-94662100-1525441170_thumb.jpg

post-3423-0-62416500-1525441186_thumb.jpg

I forgot to mention all of the currency has a notation on the reverse....here's the few pictures....none of which are annotated.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-59119900-1525441397_thumb.jpg

post-3423-0-91210400-1525441408_thumb.jpg

USCapturephotos

Neat little group. How quickly the stories get lost to history. Glad that she didn't toss the stuff as happens so often.

Paul

She almost seemed mad when she came in...and she told me if I didn't take it she would toss it since there was no one left to give it to...

She wouldn't even let me do a donation sheet on it...so I guess I'll just log it as a "Found In Collections" (FIC) group.

Mark sends

I have a hankie just like that. My Uncle AJ brought it back from North Africa or Italy. He gave it to me a very long time ago and I wish I could remember what he told me about it, if anything. I think there is a thread on here someplace where other folks posted them, but I don't think anyone knew exactly what they were for. I can't imagine a good little Nazi or fascist using them for what a hankie gets used for most.

Mikie

Have one as well.

Im thinking a item to be displayed and waved during parades of troops or for celebrations.