Tribute to the U-3A "Blue Canoe"

Bluehawk

Good question! I think they retained the U-3A designation even when transferred to the Army.

Holy Moly! Such a beauty...

post-3976-0-26499700-1525963047_thumb.jpg

(By the way, my late baby brother was a USAF a/c painter on Buffs down in Louisiana years ago. I'd love to have a discussion with him today about how that shop would get those colors and designs so perfect like that!)

:o

And, it could, if need be, land on a carrier.

Something else, maybe germane?

Whenever I let myself remember the Canoe, I also recall the Cessna Dragonfly, wistfully.

post-3976-0-47614200-1525965515.jpeg

mohawkALSE

Army did retain the U-3A and U-3B designation. That KY ARNG one is cool, later 3 side window and swept tail variation. Looks like the 310E I did some training on with all those windows. I think ours was a 1963 or so. You can see the Army considered it an Obsolete aircraft in 1980 seeing the S/N has O in front of the 06072. That USAF Museum site mentions theirs had been transferred to the Army, guess they repainted it the USAF colors to display.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that info and link! Learned some new things.

Having that operational U-3 in CAF San Marcos (or anywhere) must be something like having a vintage Corvette Stingray sitting in the family garage... :)

The Central Texas Wing of the Commemorative Air Force in San Marcos, TX has a flying U-3. It's a nice little plane.

https://www.centraltexaswing.org/aircraft/u-3/

If i am not mistaken this is the type of plane that I got a hop on from Travis to LAX while I was in the Navy. It was a couple reservist getting in their flight hours and seeing if they could make me puke (almost did) , but we made it to LAX alive in spite of themselves.

:D That would be the aircraft to do so on, for sure...

If i am not mistaken this is the type of plane that I got a hop on from Travis to LAX while I was in the Navy. It was a couple reservist getting in their flight hours and seeing if they could make me puke (almost did) , but we made it to LAX alive in spite of themselves.