WW2 M1 Helmet w/ stenciled liner

JasonT

I just picked up this ww2 era M1 fixed bail, front seam helmet off EBay. Appears to have original finish, chin strap, liner webbing and sweatband in used condition but without any dents, rust etc...basically exactly what I've been looking for.

The question I have is if anyone knows what the stenciling on the outside of the liner may mean? It has 'A.M. YA' stenciled on two separate locations. Unit? Soldiers initials maybe?

Here is the link to the ebay listing, along with some photos, thanks for looking!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-WWII-US-M1-fixed-bail-helmet-with-034-Firestone-034-helmet-liner-/202295811573

More thank likely a name. Any clues to where it was found? Could be this guy:

Field Title

Value Meaning ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 39932500 39932500 NAME YA#ASHIRO#MASAYOSHI##### YA#ASHIRO#MASAYOSHI##### RESIDENCE: STATE 96 UTAH RESIDENCE: COUNTY 565 Undefined Code PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 9629 FT DOUGLAS UTAH DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 26 26 DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 11 11 DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 46 46 GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION SGT# Sergeant GRADE: CODE 5 Sergeant BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION 000 Undefined Code BRANCH: CODE 00 Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA FIELD USE AS DESIRED # # TERM OF ENLISTMENT 3 Enlistment for Hawaiian Department LONGEVITY ### ### SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL S Undefined Code NATIVITY 96 UTAH YEAR OF BIRTH 21 21 RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 4 Japanese, citizen EDUCATION 4 4 years of high school CIVILIAN OCCUPATION 499 Skilled occupations in manufacture of electrical machinery and accessories, n.e.c. MARITAL STATUS 1 Single, with dependents COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 1 Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men) CARD NUMBER 8 8 BOX NUMBER 1485 1485 FILM REEL NUMBER 7.56# 7.56#

stealthytyler

that type of stencil really reminds me of Sailor or Marine though.... not saying impossible for a soldier to do... I just dont see it often or at all

More thank likely a name. Any clues to where it was found? Could be this guy:

Field Title Value Meaning ARMY SERIAL NUMBER 39932500 39932500 NAME YA#ASHIRO#MASAYOSHI##### YA#ASHIRO#MASAYOSHI##### RESIDENCE: STATE 96 UTAH RESIDENCE: COUNTY 565 Undefined Code PLACE OF ENLISTMENT 9629 FT DOUGLAS UTAH DATE OF ENLISTMENT DAY 26 26 DATE OF ENLISTMENT MONTH 11 11 DATE OF ENLISTMENT YEAR 46 46 GRADE: ALPHA DESIGNATION SGT# Sergeant GRADE: CODE 5 Sergeant BRANCH: ALPHA DESIGNATION 000 Undefined Code BRANCH: CODE 00 Branch Immaterial - Warrant Officers, USA FIELD USE AS DESIRED # # TERM OF ENLISTMENT 3 Enlistment for Hawaiian Department LONGEVITY ### ### SOURCE OF ARMY PERSONNEL S Undefined Code NATIVITY 96 UTAH YEAR OF BIRTH 21 21 RACE AND CITIZENSHIP 4 Japanese, citizen EDUCATION 4 4 years of high school CIVILIAN OCCUPATION 499 Skilled occupations in manufacture of electrical machinery and accessories, n.e.c. MARITAL STATUS 1 Single, with dependents COMPONENT OF THE ARMY 1 Regular Army (including Officers, Nurses, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men) CARD NUMBER 8 8 BOX NUMBER 1485 1485 FILM REEL NUMBER 7.56# 7.56#

Thanks! Seems like a good match to me. Unfortunately a quick Google search came up with nothing. I'm also curious, assuming it's the right guy, why his enlistment was late 1946, when the helmet is early to mid ww2. Would these have still been laying around to be reused after ww2 since they had long since switched to swivel bail?

I've emailed the seller, who is in Texas, on if he happens to know where it came from. Hopefully that may help a little.

The seller got back to me quickly and stated he acquired the helmet from a friend who was a collector looking to thin his collection.

Frogskin7

Thanks! Seems like a good match to me. Unfortunately a quick Google search came up with nothing. I'm also curious, assuming it's the right guy, why his enlistment was late 1946, when the helmet is early to mid ww2. Would these have still been laying around to be reused after ww2 since they had long since switched to swivel bail?

I've emailed the seller, who is in Texas, on if he happens to know where it came from. Hopefully that may help a little.

The Liner and shell are probably a put together.

With a Firestone liner marked 'F2' does anyone know if this would have still be used in late '46 to a new enlistee? I know firestone in general stopped production in Aug 45 right as the war ended but I'm just trying to figure out the probability that someone could have still been issued one in late 1946. Thanks

Frogskin7

With a Firestone liner marked 'F2' does anyone know if this would have still be used in late '46 to a new enlistee? I know firestone in general stopped production in Aug 45 right as the war ended but I'm just trying to figure out the probability that someone could have still been issued one in late 1946. Thanks

I've seen WWII era liners used up to Vietnam. I've even seen some photos of Hawleys used Post WWII as well. The production dates would definitely not matter especially in 1946.

I've seen WWII era liners used up to Vietnam. I've even seen some photos of Hawleys used Post WWII as well. The production dates would definitely not matter especially in 1946.

Thanks, that would help confirm the possible ID on the liner