Two progression-of-rank uniform lots (research help needed!)

milsurp_scout_14

milsurp_scout_14

By some blind luck, I acquired both of these groups in a large lot of gear I just bought. Any comments or ideas of where to go to search these names would be appreciated. There's no laundry/serial numbers to go on.

First group is named to 'Mullins'. Group came with two full sets (tops and pants) of the ripstop Vietnam OG's, and a 91 contract woodland top. First top is Mullins as part of the 101st AB. Second top has sergeant stripes, CIB, jump wings, air assault badge, and ranger tab. Woodland top has 1SG stripes, Ranger tab, and 172nd BDE patch. OGs are '68 & '69 contract, woodland is '90 contract.

Second group is named to 'Riley'. Group came with two full sets (tops and pants) of 70's OG 507 'wash n wears', and two woodland tops. First two tops are Riley as a Captain, with Ordnance, 4th ID, 1st Cavalry Div, and Ranger tabs. Woodland tops are Riley as a Major, with Ordnance, Ranger tabs, and 1st Cavalry Div patches. One woodland top has the 4th ID patch, and one has the FORSCOM patch. Wash n Wears have had the tags ripped out, and woodland tops have faded tags, but both appear to read early 1980s.

post-153911-0-57863600-1524974817_thumb.jpg

Rakkasan187

The Mullins Jungle Fatigues and BDUs are going to be most likely mid 80's to early 90's. We wore the jungle fatigues at Fort Campbell during this time period until they were finally phased out around 87-88 time frame?? I had 1969 contract year OG 107s, still have them today.. I had already left the 101st (in 1986) but we were still wearing OG107s. We also had the winter weight BDUs. The lightweight pattern came out later, but when I arrived in Berlin in January 1987, I believe by that summer we had lightweight BDU rip stops..,

Just FYI on his OG107s he is wearing the Expert Infantryman's Badge, and not the Combat Infantryman's' Badge. This is a very typical set up for an infantryman in the 80's when there was a lot of training opportunities and many infantry Soldier's had opportunities to attend schools as well as other training that would produce badges such as the EIB.

He may very well have attended Ranger School during this time period and this was the only insignia available with the black border but...I do question the Ranger tab on his second set of fatigues, with the black OD border vs the plain OD green border seen on the other uniforms such as his BDU. Could have been possible, absolutely,, We sent 3 Soldiers from my unit in the 101st TDY to attend Ranger School in the 80's as straight legs (not Airborne Qualified). They returned to the unit successful graduates and they all wore the OD bordered Ranger tab on their OG's and BDUs.. This was in 1985...

I served with a Mullin's in Berlin during the 80s -90s.. Not this one though based on the decorations on his uniform...

Since Mullins is wearing 1SG Rank on his BDU's it is possible that he went on to become a Sergeant Major or he graduated from the 1SG Course at Fort Bliss. I may be able to check the rosters for any Mullin's who may have graduated from either course in the 90's-00's period. It will take a day or so but I will see what I find and get back to you.. It may be a needle in a haystack search though...

Leigh

I'd guess Riley served in Vietnam in the 1st CAV as a 2LT. Spent the 70s and early 80s working his way up through 1LT, CPT, and then MAJ by the mid-80s, as the rip stop BDU top is the last uniform chronologically. He may have retired at 20 in the late 80s (1968-1988).

Rakkasan187

I just checked the Sergeants Major Academy Graduate rosters and there were 2 possible candidates that MAY have fit the time period but after further research, one of the graduates was from Class 15 that graduated in 1980, which would have been too early for the uniforms you posted and the second candidate graduated in 2002, but based on the photograph in dress uniform, he has the Basic Parachutist and Air Assault Wings and a Combat Infantryman's badge with combat service in Desert Shield/Storm but due to the angle of the 2 photos that I found with the SGM in dress green uniform, I can't see if he has a Ranger tab.

When time permits I will try to go through the First Sergeant Class rosters to see if anything appears that may be a possible match..

Leigh

BDU_Burger_Lover

The black-bordered Ranger tab has always been a bit of a mystery to me. I have seen it before on a couple of legit BDU tops, including a 101st one, but I'm not sure what's the story behind it (and I would love to know!).

I have found a Riley who was an Ordinance Corps Lieutenant in the late 1960s and will be PM'ing you whatever information I could come up with.

Great groupings - the BDUs are especially nice, but then again I may be a little biased lol