ID'd WWII US Army "Troop Entertainer" Group

HistoryNut

Today I purchased an ID'd group that belonged to WWII era soldier that also was an entertainer. I purchased these items directly from his daughter and she stated that he served as an MP/guard and also a part time entertainer of the troops. I believe he was assigned to the 3rd Special Service Company...I have a rubber stamp of his that has, "Script & Score" 3rd Special Service Co., APO 225 US Army. As you can see from his ribbons, he also served in the Merchant Marines early in the War.

I also purchased his fixed bail helmet and service uniform (haven't taken photos yet).

Hope you enjoy.

post-13256-0-65275800-1524943730.jpg

Also...have you looked him up on ancestry.com yet, to see if he shows up in any of the merchant marine musters? It would be interesting to see where he served prior to joining the Army.

That's a wonderful group. Always hard to figure how a family can give these things up but great to know it's with someone who treasures them.

HistoryNut

Thanks to everyone for the kind responses!! I too find it to be a beautiful Ike and the patches amazing. I'm sorry for the delayed response...I work nights and I posted right as I was leaving. During the day I sleep and spend my waking hours remodeling our home.

I originally saw a helmet sitting in a garage while attending a yard sale over 8 years ago. The veteran was deceased, but his wife didn't want to sale it. I stopped by the house again a couple years later and the wife still didn't want to sale, but her daughter was visiting from out of state and took my name and number. Low and behold, 6 years later she surprised me with a call on Friday. I met her at her parent's house on Saturday to purchase the helmet and again to my surprise, she brought out her father's other items. Although, I'd never seen anything like it or the patches, I knew it had to be very rare. I had no idea about value, but I made her a very fair offer...she was shocked! :) Her mother is still living, but decided it was time to let it go and add to her "nest egg".

The daughter informed me her father tried to join the Army early in the War, but was too young. He was accepted in the Merchant Marines and served in the Atlantic. He then was able to join the Army at the end of the War. He was a seasoned tap dancer and was selected to entertain the troops. When we wasn't entertaining, she said he did guard duty.

Dave, I have searched him on Ancestry, but haven't been able to turn anything up on his Merchant Marine service.

Again, thank you for looking and your comments.

Best Regards,

John

Brian Dentino

This is an amazing group. The patches are really "one of the few" left. Saw te other post where some of the patch experts weighed in and stated that this may have been a special patch made for a very small group of soldiers and thus makes this a VERY RARE grouping you have.....and they are beautiful. Thanks for sharing this special group with us here, first I have certainly seen of this patch!