Philippine War Tropical Coat c. 1898-1899

Here is something I stumbled across that when I first saw it I thought it was a USMC "China Marine " Officers summer tunic but as is obvious there are many differences. After digging I realized it was a Philippine Insurrection issue tunic. Anyway I thought it was a cool find and thought I would share it here....

post-8047-0-82456300-1524934620_thumb.jpg

post-8047-0-77553800-1524934631_thumb.jpg

post-8047-0-59764100-1524934648_thumb.jpg

beerdragon54

I love it. I actually woodworked 2 sets of them recently that are fully identified. I plan on posting soon. Thanks for sharing. You don’t see many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love it. I actually woodworked 2 sets of them recently that are fully identified. I plan on posting soon. Thanks for sharing. You don’t see many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool...

This one has a name written inside of it. I need to see if I can figure out what the name is and see if I can find any info on him ....

I believe this may be a British coat...Boer War era? Let’s see the buttons...

The buttons are cloth covered (as cab be seen in the pics I posted) There are several examples of this same exact type coat ID'ed to US Soldiers (even on this site) that served and fought in the Philippines . It my understanding they were contracted out and made by a company in Hong Kong by the U.S. quartermaster in the Philippines.

Retired Army Noncom

The belt support shows for this time period, I believe it to be a Colonial jacket from a colonial power and having cloth covered buttons, I would say, it's German and issued for colonial wear in Africa......IMO. It's not to specifications for being a M-1902 cotton khaki coat for wear in hot tropical climates.

The buttons are cloth covered (as cab be seen in the pics I posted) There are several examples of this same exact type coat ID'ed to US Soldiers (even on this site) that served and fought in the Philippines . It my understanding they were contracted out and made by a company in Hong Kong by the U.S. quartermaster in the Philippines.

Being made in Hong may explain the British appearance to this coat, no? It is certainly not made to US Spec's...?

There is a coat very similar in appearance on display in the Canadian War Museum dating back to the Boer War...

Retired Army Noncom

Being made in Hong may explain the British appearance to this coat, no? It is certainly not made to US Spec's...?

There is a coat very similar in appearance on display in the Canadian War Museum dating back to the Boer War...

It didn't register the relationship of it coming from Hong Kong and Hong Kong being a british colony which makes it a far more correct description....IMO.

It is very similar to the British coats for sure. But it has some differences also. It also looks very similar to Marine officers cotton tunics worn in China that I have seen. When I first saw this tunic that is what I thought it was...

ludwigh1980

Great Philippine Insurrection coat. Exact coats (including the cloth covered buttons) were worn by at least the 1st Colorado Volunteer Infantry in the Philippines in 1899. Photographic evidence supports this as well as I believe the Utah Light Artillery. Regular U.S. Infantry Regiments also wore the exact cut of garment in the Philippines including the 17th U.S. Infantry. An in depth analysis of these coats can be seen along with photographs of them being worn here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/186010-philippine-american-war-blouse-1899-1902/?hl=1899

Retired Army Noncom

I didn't see any photos of the exact coat...................that coat has belt support hooks. I see none in the photos.

ludwigh1980

These date before the 1902 uniforms were adopted. Remember the Philippine American War lasted from 1899 to 1902. Several state units participated and first arrived in wool uniforms (sack coat, fatigue shirt etc. ) Some did wind up with 1884 cotton duck coats as evidence by photographs taken in the Philippines. For what ever reason M-1899 khaki coats starting showing up later. There is quite a bit of information here on the forum on these coats. Some-where on here is a posting on the details and correspondence in the procurement of these type coats.

Retired Army Noncom

These date before the 1902 uniforms were adopted. Remember the Philippine American War lasted from 1899 to 1902. Several state units participated and first arrived in wool uniforms (sack coat, fatigue shirt etc. ) Some did wind up with 1884 cotton duck coats as evidence by photographs taken in the Philippines. For what ever reason M-1899 khaki coats starting showing up later. There is quite a bit of information here on the forum on these coats. Some-where on here is a posting on the details and correspondence in the procurement of these type coats.

Your verification is exact..............well done.

ludwigh1980

They come up on ebay once in a great while, though often miss-identified. Watch the WW1 Uniform section as well as the Spanish American War section and the 1903-1913 section as well. What makes this era fun to collect is that if you can find a name, the army enlistment records as well as the U.S. Infantry regiment rosters are on Ancestry.com. If it was worn by a state volunteer it will be a bit more tricky.