Looking for any information on a District of Columbia 1863 draftee

I searched the 1,600 man list of Civil War soldiers from the District of Columbia and no John Edwards is listed. Does anyone know where else I can search? Thanks.

Steve Rogers

Can you post a little more context? Do you know just that he was drafted or that he actually served as a draftee? He might have failed a medical exam or procured a substitute.

Can you post a little more context? Do you know just that he was drafted or that he actually served as a draftee? He might have failed a medical exam or procured a substitute.

Steve,

Here is the draft notice. John Edwards was 33 at the time... pretty old I would think for this.

post-4944-0-39580000-1525048538_thumb.jpg

Steve Rogers

If you are not finding him in the military records chances are that he did not serve. He was selected for service by the draft, but some exemptions were allowed. You could also hire a substitute to take your place or pay a $300 commutation fee. Chances are that he took advantage of one of these.

The Enrollment Act of 1863 allowed yankees to pay $300 rather than enlist. It was quite common for yankees to pay someone to fight in their place.

Jeffrey Magut

John Lafaucherie Edwards of Washington DC, born March 14, 1830, died at Wash DC Jan 1 1896. He was a lifelong D.C. resident and the son of Col. James L Edwards.

Census records show John as a clerk in the War Department in 1870. The draft notice appears to say he is a clerk in the Pay Master General's office. John's father was a decorated veteran of the War of 1812 and was the first Commissioner of Pensions, who approved or disapproved the pension applications of Revolutionary War veterans.

I find no record of military service for John, who could easily afford a substitute (his personal estate "net worth" was valued at $55,000 in 1870) $970,000 today.