1st Infantry division helmet

Somethings not right about this rig. The chinstraps are questionable with original brass hardware. Bales look goofy. The paint job is great, but the captain bars are really beat up compared to the divisional insignia. I wouldn't personally buy this without a lot of provenance. I'm unfortunately one of those pessimists who thinks everything is guilty until proven innocent.

spacer.png

post-342-0-28782100-1524890294.jpg

post-342-0-26084100-1524890303.jpg

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

post-342-0-26112400-1524890351.jpg

post-342-0-28097400-1524890362.jpg

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

The 1st ID insignia seems overly large, originals I've seen were smaller. Also, you can see scratches where the 1st ID insignia was painted over; meaning the helmet seen use before the insignia was applied. The captain bars give off an artificially aged vibe as if someone rubbed dirt on them.

It's pretty rare to see a 1st ID helmet with insignia intact, I remember reading in a book that the Big Red One was ordered to cover up their helmet insignia near the end of the war, much to everyone's dismay. Last time I've seen a 1st ID helmet come out of the woodwork belonged to a Major and his 1st ID insignia was painted over.

Overall, my best guess is that the helmet was painted post-war as a commemorative display piece for the vet; lots of stories of guys here on the forum painting helmets like that.

Pat

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif