Cleaning Mitchell Cover?

Heptonic48

I got this helmet cover in the mail today.I noticed it smelled really bad and had a dark stain on the green side.There are also rust stains where it used to be on a helmet.I wanted to know how I should go about cleaning it?I usually leave things the way I got them, but in this case I can't stand the smell and woant to clean the dark stain.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

I have cleaned them by hand with dawn dish soap and warm water, it works wonders on dirt and oil. it may improve the rust stains but they are likely there to stay. This method of cleaning does not help much with the smell. The only way I found to get that smell out is to hang it outside or in the garage, after a few weeks it will go away.

This is just my experience, I would be curious to hear other methods and their results.

I have cleaned them by hand with dawn dish soap and warm water, it works wonders on dirt and oil. it may improve the rust stains but they are likely there to stay. This method of cleaning does not help much with the smell. The only way I found to get that smell out is to hang it outside or in the garage, after a few weeks it will go away.

This is just my experience, I would be curious to hear other methods and their results.

Thanks.I might just do that.I would also like to see what other people have done to clean their covers.

Some items I know people use wool-ite to wash things in.

Others use oxy clean etc.

I would hand wash it if you go that route.

As for smell I have taken items and aired them out in the sun for a while and then place them in a bag with a laundry dry sheet(think bounce or Tide etc).

Typically a small kitchen trash bag(13 gallon) that the item will fit in.Place one or two dryer sheets in the bag and seal with a twist tie or just fold over.Let it sit for a week or so.Check it and if theres still an oder repeat the process with a new sheet or add another..I have had good luck with things that are smoke or mildew odor and even the mouse odor can be tamed down.

Why we just threw them in the wash with the rest of our dirty fatiques and stuff back in the day.

Just like underwear.... :P:lol:

11thcavsniper

I've put wrinkled up newspapers and put them in a box with items with moldy smells and keep changing them out until the smell clears up.

That was before they became historical artifacts... LOL

Honestly, I WOULD throw it in the laundry - I know, I know, people get squeamish...

If youre uncomfortable with that, as Ron mentions OxyClean, you can make your own @home. There are plenty of recipes, but I just mix mild dish soap and baking soda to a paste-like consistency. For tough spots, Ill use an old toothbrush. I did that on a WWII USMC camo cover (GASP!), and it worked great.

Why we just threw them in the wash with the rest of our dirty fatiques and stuff back in the day.

At Hood, one guy in my squad mistakenly put his cover after a 3 day FTX in with the stuff he sent to the QM Cleaning (Forgot what it's called again) it was a free laundering service IIRC, so was without it for a up coming Battalion parade LOL, he had to stay behind as supply didn't have covers.

Yes, and in 80-82 we threw the M56 web gear in as well, those of us that had these items still, like me, in Alaska I had the suspenders.

post-34986-0-79169300-1377064333.jpg

Thanks guys.I cleaned it by hand with some laundry detergent and warm water.I was able to get most of the dirt out.It came out pretty clean and it doesnt smell anymore after hanging outside over night.Unfortunately it looks like the dark stain is there to stay.I don't know what it is, but its hard.