Coast Guard Uniform with PT Patch

CombatEng44

CombatEng44

An older friend(well, older than me) with no internet asked if I would ask this question, please.

He has a Coast Guard labeled uniform with a PT patch. Did the CG have PT Boats or is this a badly made up uniform? Would the Navy use Coast Guard uniform?

Thanks.

Steve

Rakkasan187

Steve,

Would like to see some pictures of the uniform if possible..

To my knowledge the Coast Guard did not have PT boats, unless a few were used as air sea rescue crafts, but I don't believe they were. I also think that the Coast Guard would have used a Navy jumper but would have CG ratings and such applied, as well as manufacturers tags.. Not sure just my thoughts. I don't have my PT reference material readily available but can research and get back in a day or so...

Leigh

MastersMate

The CG did not have PT Boats during WW2. They did, after the war, take over some of the US Army crashboats. Could have been, as noted, a USCG uniform issued to a USN sailor. Look on the right fore arm, between the wrist and elbow for the white CG shield or the pattern for the shield sewn to the sleeve..

MastersMate

In the FWIW department.. After November, 1941 the Coast Guard adopted the US Navy Uniform Regulations to apply to the service. Other than minor insignia differences, the sea going uniforms were basically the same up through 1976.