ID this WW2 aircraft # "84".

Keith

I think you guys are right, a B24. I am now trying to nail down the "84". If this is a training aircraft would it have "Squadron 84" on the side? I am at a loss for those two letters, "ON" preceding the number?

More info. I believe I have narrowed this aircraft down to the 4th AAF which patroled the West Coast. I believe they were also involved in training air crews. THanks.

phantomfixer

84 is the what they referred to as the buzz number...maybe unofficially....large enough on the plane as to be seen from the ground if the pilot was caught buzzing a farmers house, town base etc...

The advanced 4 engine training base at Liberal, Kansas used the fuselage marking ON as seen in the photo. They operated with the B-24.

The advanced 4 engine training base at Liberal, Kansas used the fuselage marking ON as seen in the photo. They operated with the B-24.

that is very helpful and I will pursue that further. With this photo came another of a crew who had the 4th AAF patch on their uniforms. The crew is Id' on the back. Probably post training. Thanks for the help.

MECHINF-A15

MattS,

Thank you very for posting this link. My late father was a Pilot Cadet at Waco Air Field (Waco, Texas) when the war ended.

This helps a lot in my research on him.

All the best,

Mike