31st Infantry Div Yangtze Medal Group

Austin_Militaria

Austin_Militaria

Just got this small group today. In my research so far it seems only a handful of Yangtze service medals are traceable by there numbers. This one is a Marine Type and M.No. 4956 Seems high in the range of 6300 medals awarded. I am hoping that the ones given to the 31st Rgt were in a particular range of numbers. The only thing I have to go on is his last name of Duvall that was written on the outside of the box that this all came in. The 31st DUI is a nice early one with an open catch and made by Zamora. I love the ribbon bar with the Army Good conduct, American Defense and the Yangtze medal. If anyone has any info on the medal number or a 31st Rgt. roster with a last name of Duvall from 1932 that would be great.

post-2578-1227411886.jpg

post-2578-1227411893.jpg

Austin_Militaria

And one photo of him. He looks to have Sgt 1st class or Master Sgt rank on his arm, and in early 1940's uniform.

post-2578-1227417394.jpg

The only reference I know of is an article published in Gleim's Medal Letters and republished in "The Gleim Medal Letters 1971-1997," page 42, which discusses Marine medal issues to Army personnel. Concerning the Yangtze, here is what he had to say about it:

Quote. The Shanghai Incident of 1932 caused the dispatch of the Army's 31st Infantry Regiment from the Philippines to reinforce the 4th Marine Brigade (sic!, should have been "regiment") in protecting Shanghai's International Settlement during fighting between Japanese and Chinese forces. For Navy and Marine personnel, this service was covered by the second eligibility period of the Yangtze Service Medal. Award of the medal to Army personnel was announced in War Department Bulletin No. 4, 1935. Officers, Army nurses, and enlisted men of the 31st Infantry and attached personnel who served with the 4th Marine Brigade in Shanghai during the period February 5 to July 1, 1932 were eligible. Application and issue procedures were identical to those for the Second Nicaraguan Campaign Medal.

It is pretty clear that no specific blocks were set aside for Army issues though sequential issues were made in cases where bulk applications were submitted by commanders of companies. Initial Army issues were somewhat later than initial Marine issues, thus no low numbers are known for Army recipients.

Marine Yangtze Medals to Army recipients are known in the 34, 36, 37, 39, 49, 52, 54, 65, 77, 79 and 82 hundreds. Unquote

So, your man's medal in the 4900-series and the ribbon bar with the GCM and YSM would square with what Gleim observed. Evidently there aren't any extant medal rolls for issues to Army personnnel. In addition to the DUI for the 31st, there are ones for the 7th, 15th and 30th Infantry Regiments -- the 7th and 30th were part of the 3rd Division at Fort Lewis between the wars, the 15th joined in 1938 when they left the garrison at Tientsin for good. All of them served with the division during WW II. Hope this helps.

Austin_Militaria

Thanks 3MXD. I guess I just need to narrow down a unit Roster with the name Duvall. With only 1100 men in the 31st it should not be to hard. think.gif

"Marine Yangtze Medals to Army recipients are known in the 34, 36, 37, 39, 49, 52, 54, 65, 77, 79 and 82 hundreds."

It is interesting that there were 11 ranges of numbers mentioned and 1100 men in the 31st. I am sure though that not all of the men or CO's of the 31st applied for it. Probably a quincidence.

Here are some period references pertaining to the 31st Infantry Yangtze Service Medal:

post-1963-1227519240.jpg

post-1963-1227519267.jpg

post-1963-1227519311.jpg

The implication of the War Department Bulletin and these press articles is that 31st Infantry veterans of the "defense of the International Settlement during the Sino-Japanese controversy of 1932" were on their own as far as applying for Yangtze Service Medal and it does not seem likely that specific blocks of medal numbers would have been reserved for the Army in these circumstances.

The Yangtze medal in my ADM Beck group has his name and the ship's name (USS Rizal) impressed on the rim. It is really hit or miss on ID'ing these sometimes. Gliem's medal letters are the only source that I know about.

John

• 12 years later...