Army Hat Badge

cerick1450

WW2 era to 50s tend to have flat edge disc and can be thick or thin from what I have seen

The rolled edge type dates later.

WW2 era to 50s tend to have flat edge disc and can be thick or thin from what I have seen

The rolled edge type dates later.

Rolled edges from late 40s On(the new EM 1947 Cap) If not mistaken.

Explain flat versus rolled edge

This is a rolled edge, or crimped if one likes, it has a stabilizing pin on the top to prevent the disc from spinning once screwed fast to the cap.

post-34986-0-90702500-1524534964.jpgpost-34986-0-36698400-1524534998.jpg

And this is a late 1920s-1930's-WWII Flat Edge cap device, note it has as it's stabilizer a two pronged nut rather than a pin.

post-34986-0-38118200-1524535569.jpgpost-34986-0-97354300-1524535582.jpgpost-34986-0-24210600-1524535595.jpg

This nice cap device is by the way up on Ebay if anyone is interested (No affiliation with vendor, just a public service announcement :D).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-US-Military-WWII-ARMY-Enlisted-Cap-Hat-Device-Solid-Brass-1-1-2/162977501540?hash=item25f2375164:g:mVQAAOSw4Ehacekt

Great reference pictures Kevin.

Thanks for adding them

I think we have had a topic or discussion on the cap badges from WW2 as far as materials used.

There were some made of plastic and also of a plaster type material I recall.

Some place I have one that is one piece stamped.Its either on a cap or on the loose.

I have even seen a few f the WW2 flat edge in use on 60s era army dress caps.

Then there are the unofficial silver/chrome finnish as well.If I can find mine I can post a picture of it

Great reference pictures Kevin.

Thanks for adding them

I think we have had a topic or discussion on the cap badges from WW2 as far as materials used.

There were some made of plastic and also of a plaster type material I recall.

Some place I have one that is one piece stamped.Its either on a cap or on the loose.

I have even seen a few f the WW2 flat edge in use on 60s era army dress caps.

Then there are the unofficial silver/chrome finnish as well.If I can find mine I can post a picture of it

Yes I was trying to find that topic, I remembered that one, couldn't, I guess it's in the unsorted holding area.

So no rolled edges during WW2? That is disappointing if true.

For $5-10 you can buy a WW2 one to put on there if you really want to. It's not like they are rare.

I have a WAAC enlisted cap device (walking buzzard) with a rolled edge that I am very confident is original and not a repop. When WAAC switched to WAC in 1943, this walking buzzard device was phased out. So, maybe there is an exception to the rule...

Appreciate the reference, but it doesn't address the question as to why my walking buzzard hat device has a rolled edge! By 1944 the WAAC walking buzzard would have been replaced by the standard U.S.Eagle.

Maybe WAC badges were constructed that way, I haven't enough of them to say for sure. The badge on the pith helmet that was posted does have all the post-1947 features (2 piece, rolled edge, smaller eagle).

Maybe WAC badges were constructed that way, I haven't enough of them to say for sure. The badge on the pith helmet that was posted does have all the post-1947 features (2 piece, rolled edge, smaller eagle).

I've seen lots of the EM WAC badges over the years and all had rolled-edge disks.

I've seen lots of the EM WAC badges over the years and all had rolled-edge disks.

As have the ones I have seen, but I've only seen a handful. Were 100% of them made that way? I don't know, but I think it's safe to say the majority were.

As have the ones I have seen, but I've only seen a handful. Were 100% of them made that way? I don't know, but I think it's safe to say the majority were.

I've seen nothing to suggest they were made any other way.

Would that not cast doubt on the theory that EM Eagles with rolled edges are post-war ?

I don't think anyone is saying that 100% of rolled edge EM cap devices are post-WW2 (there were plenty of private purchase ones available), and I am not an expert on WAAC/WAC cap badges of WW2, which is a different topic. The reverse does seem to hold true that all EM cap badges with a flat disc are WW2 vintage as the 1947 uniform changes made the rolled edge standard.

I don't think anyone is saying that 100% of rolled edge EM cap devices are post-WW2 (there were plenty of private purchase ones available), and I am not an expert on WAAC/WAC cap badges of WW2, which is a different topic. The reverse does seem to hold true that all EM cap badges with a flat disc are WW2 vintage as the 1947 uniform changes made the rolled edge standard.

Interesting point, good guess would be that the rolled edge ones with the pin rather than the two pronged nut if seen on a bonafide WWII cap would be a PX purchase, after all there are better quality WWII (Flat faced, not the 50s-60s slightly convexed type) hollow stamped collar discs out there that were presumably PX purchases types, IE non zinc rear backing, but with brass or zinc bars.

As it this example of these matching WWII Tank Destroyer Forces EM discs with Brass bar on the rears.

post-84-1169358919.jpgpost-84-1169358999.jpg