USAF crew chief tool boxes

phantomfixer

phantomfixer

In two weeks I was able to acquire three USAF tool boxes...two from late 1960s and early 1970s

the two are pictured

Named and unit marked

Sgt Cruz with the 912th CAMs at Dover in 1968-1971ish and J Jones with the 436 AMS look like he is a Air Reserve Technician with a W10 rating?

The long numbers are the CTK numbers (Consolidated Tool Kit)

Needless to say as a retired USAF crew chief, from Dover AFB, I was pretty stoked to add these to the collection

post-155518-0-07160900-1524352848.jpg

post-155518-0-95891900-1524352854_thumb.jpg

I worked in the Tool Issue Center in the 410th Supply Sqd. In the 410 Bomb Wing the crew chiefs were in the Organizational Maintenance Squadron. Never heard of one being in AMS. But who knows how things were in other outfits. Of course AMS could mean Aircraft Maintenance Sqd. and not armament maintenance sqd. I'm getting old and the old brain is fogging up!

That's a neat collection of old tool boxes. I never would have thought someone would collect those.

Had one just like it, the good ole oyster box, heavier than I could carry when full.

Great piece of equipment on a flight line.

phantomfixer

Thanks Guys...

Back in the day the USAF had OMS, FMS, and AMS maintence squadrons

OMS was crew chiefs, FMS Field MX Sq was Hydro and Jets, AMS was pointy heads and spark chasers...the Range Riders were a group of maintainers that flew with the aircraft, pushing it through the systems, now called flying crew chiefs, but any MX AFSC cut trained to do the grunt work can become a FCC...

the tool box collection started out looking for a WWII era crew chief tool box and a WWII Jeep GMTK box...and has since morphed into a general military tool box collection....so when the present themselves at auction or flea markets, I pick them up if GI

A few tools, but I don't believe they were/are contemporary to the box.

If I remember later, maybe I'll take and post a picture.

A few tools, but I don't believe they were/are contemporary to the box.

If I remember later, maybe I'll take and post a picture.

I'd like to see that, too.

Pretty sure I can recall which ones would have been issued with the box, if it was for an a/c mechanic (as my AFSC was described in those days).

If not mistaken, most wrenching mechanics on a flight line had a box like these, but issued with different tool sets according to AFSC - e.g. engines, APU, aircraft and so on.

I'd like to see that, too.

Pretty sure I can recall which ones would have been issued with the box, if it was for an a/c mechanic (as my AFSC was described in those days).

If not mistaken, most wrenching mechanics on a flight line had a box like these, but issued with different tool sets according to AFSC - e.g. engines, APU, aircraft and so on.

Every AFSC that required a set of tools had an inventory sheet designed for that job specialty. In other words; if your job did not require a certain tool, you were not issued one. some AFSC's got more tools than others, it just depended on what you would need.

In some cases, a tool box and tools would be issued to a section and all the guys would work out of the same box. That was pretty rare and as I remember it, was done mostly with those folks involved with crypto equipment.

phantomfixer

Nice box...cool that it still had the issue lock....we had to lock our boxes to the spot if we left any period of time....if not QA would come by and confiscate them...

Simonsen was one of the larger contractors for the mechanics tool box...I have seen the data plate riveted on and then at times stamped into the sheet metal, in the same location...

One company even made a plastic/resin/fiberglass mechanics tool box, same basic design...

...One company even made a plastic/resin/fiberglass mechanics tool box, same basic design...

Interesting, didn't know about that. I wonder how those held up with hard use and weather?

phantomfixer

dunno...but is sturdy..the two lids don't line up as easy though...I think it is 1960s dated...Would be cool if it was designed as a jungle tool box...no rusting in the humidity!!!

Pretty sure that is fibreglass, which is a cloth soaked in polyester resin and pressed around a form, etc.

I really liked the smell of that stuff, by the way

• 2 months later...
phantomfixer

and POL products...mixed bag of bore cleaner, GP oil, gun oil, aircraft grease etc...most collected locally around Dover AFB

post-155518-0-33788200-1531399771_thumb.jpg

Well, that's a bunch of neat stuff I don't see every day. It's great to see collections of helmets, knives etc on the forums, but love to see this kind of thing that wouldn't occur to me to even look for. Thanks!

Mikie

phantomfixer

Thanks Mikie...most are full or partially full...some of the grease tins are still sealed...as a mechanic, I am always drawn to maintenance items...finally got around to putting them all together...

Nice display! Well done and thanks for posting it.

This thread has made me take a closer look when I see an older toolbox around the airport.

Dave

• 2 months later...
phantomfixer

Here is a nice weapons load crew tool box...presumably used for releasing weapons, maybe carried on MX truck for quick response, or when a small kit is used/needed for a small job...hence the mini kit designation

post-155518-0-02981000-1538933222.jpg