Garage Sale Tiger Stripe Coat

I pick this up this morning at a local garage sale. I grabbed it as it didn’t look like a more modern version you see in surplus stores all the time!

There are no markings or stamps in it anywhere.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Any stamps just under the inside collar?

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
UK - Op.'s Granby / Sabre / Warden
Canadian - Op. Desert Storm / Op. Friction
French - Daguet / Aconit
Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, etc.
Looking for the oddities, including unfinished & flaws
I HAVE EXTRA's!! Will trade as well.

Cool piece... My non-expert opinion only. The rip-stop cloth & the crude pattern of the pockets would make this a great reenactor piece. If you could determine a size, you should derive a pretty good premium, considering what new reproductions are going for. I remember the stuff that was in the catalogs in the '90s all seemed to mimic the modern 4 pocket BDU. I think it's worth $40 or better to the right reenactor...

Cool piece... My non-expert opinion only. The rip-stop cloth & the crude pattern of the pockets would make this a great reenactor piece. If you could determine a size, you should derive a pretty good premium, considering what new reproductions are going for. I remember the stuff that was in the catalogs in the '90s all seemed to mimic the modern 4 pocket BDU. I think it's worth $40 or better to the right reenactor...

The lower patch pockets were not a typical pattern during the Vietnam war. More commonly the Tiger Stripe uniforms of the period either had chest pockets, or a very few had four pockets. The lower patch pockets were more typical of commercial made versions after the war.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

What war would you reenact in this jacket ?

Hopefully something in South America in the 1980s.

NOT Vietnam.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

What war would you reenact in this jacket ? 

Hopefully something in South America in the 1980s.

NOT Vietnam.

Maybe The Rolling Stones will comeback and do an anniversary version of “Under Cover of the Night” video?

It was cheap so I was not to worried……it was just odd enough to take a chance!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

I JUST BOUGHT AN IDENTICAL SET (SHIRT AND PANTS) IN VIRGINIA YESTERDAY. I WAS ABLE TO EXACTLY MATCH THE TIGER STRIPE PRINT, FROM THIS ONE TO MINE. WITH THE OPINION THAT THIS CLOTHING WAS MADE IN THE 70-80's MY QUESTION, IS THIS AN ORIGINAL PRINT/MATERIAL OR AN EXACT ERA COPY OF A TIGER STRIPE MATERIAL OF THE WAR? I WILL VALUE ANY/ALL OPINIONS, THANKS GIH

I JUST BOUGHT AN IDENTICAL SET (SHIRT AND PANTS) IN VIRGINIA YESTERDAY. I WAS ABLE TO EXACTLY MATCH THE TIGER STRIPE PRINT, FROM THIS ONE TO MINE. WITH THE OPINION THAT THIS CLOTHING WAS MADE IN THE 70-80's MY QUESTION, IS THIS AN ORIGINAL PRINT/MATERIAL OR AN EXACT ERA COPY OF A TIGER STRIPE MATERIAL OF THE WAR? I WILL VALUE ANY/ALL OPINIONS, THANKS GIH

Please post photos. There are a lot of subtle differences in Tiger patterns, and it will be hard to offer an opinion without seeing what you are looking at.

If what you bought is an exact match to this one for pattern, material, cut, pockets and bottoms, then you have a commercial sportswear item.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif