Cut edge or Merrowed edge?

bbmilitaria

bbmilitaria

I have a customer that believes this 9th Division patch was a merrowed edge patch that has had the merrowed edge removed to look like a cut edge patch. To my eye this looks like a factory produced cut edge patch. Am I missing something?

post-3239-0-71809200-1524234182_thumb.jpg

greendevilsix

You are missing nothing. The photo shows a factory cut edge patch that has not been tampered with. I have removed merrowed edging on a couple of patches that were other wise beyond saving just to see the result and they did not look like the provided photo. It is a solid 9th INF DIV cut edge patch IMHO.

ATW!

Jim

dan_the_hun84

You are missing nothing. The photo shows a factory cut edge patch that has not been tampered with. I have removed merrowed edging on a couple of patches that were other wise beyond saving just to see the result and they did not look like the provided photo. It is a solid 9th INF DIV cut edge patch IMHO.

ATW!

Jim

I have done the same thing- it never looks as clean as this- even with a sharp cutting tool and a steady hand...I am sure this is a legit patch

I have removed the merrowed edge on a few patches. The telltale evidence is a row of holes around the edge where the merrowing stitches used to be.

If your customer cannot even tell the difference between cut edge and merrowed edge patches,

1) not to even mention the OD cables are the correct color AND

2) the 9th ID is not known to be a WW II merrowed edge patch even in OD AND

3) the known merrowed edge 9th ID patches are AG44 cables THEN

he should not collect patches.

Tredhed, I am confused. Are you saying that the 9th is made in Army Green? I see no tampering with the patch shown above as others have mentioned. Usually, you will see the border "flattened" from the stitches of the merrowing that was removed. It is pretty obvious. Another way to find if a patch was merrowed is by holding it up to a strong light. You should see holes.

-Ski

Prior to the customer committing to a purchase, I would suggest the patch be submitted for a Carbon 14 Radiocarbon Dating Analysis Test.

Prior to the customer committing to a purchase, I would suggest the patch be submitted for a Carbon 14 Radiocarbon Dating Analysis Test.

Yeah, but that will only get it down to +/- 100 years...... ;)