Staff Sergeant Allen E. Merrill, 1st Ranger / FSSF M1 Helmet

IKEsaysGO44

IKEsaysGO44

Here is a wonderful Rear Seam, Swivel bail M1 Helmet identified to Staff Sergeant Allen E. Merrill (ASN 12072556) of Buffalo, New York.

Staff Sergeant Merrill was an original member of the 4th Ranger Battalion and served with Fox Company, 1st Ranger Battalion, known as 'Darby's Rangers.' He was Seriously Wounded in Action on 22 January 1944, likely during the Battle for Cisterna in Italy.

Shortly after, Staff Sergeant Merrill transfered to 1st Company, 2nd Regiment, First Special Service Force. Amazingly enough, after the disbandonment of the FSSF in December 1944, Staff Sergeant Merrill transfered (again!) to the 379th Bombardment Squadron, of the 390th Bomber Group as a tail gunner on the B-25 Mitchell Bomber.

This helmet was likely issued to Merrill upon transfer to the 379th BS. It leaves no doubt to the wearer's rich and powerful military fighting throughout World War II.

Merrill was awared the Combat Infantryman's Badge, Silver Star, Bronze Star, a Purple Heart with 2 OLC, and an Air Medal with 2 OLC.

Thanks for checking it out! www.facebook.com/EuropeanAdvance

Andy

post-141357-0-70716600-1524229129_thumb.jpg

post-141357-0-27559900-1524229149_thumb.jpg

Hi

It is a cool helmet...

I cannot even start imagine were you find a helmet like that. Lol

Items like this is what i love about the hobby, "they didn't do that" until you get information that totally opens up the theories.

Regards

Tom

IKEsaysGO44

Tom,

The guy I bought it from cannot be trusted... his name was Tom as well. So strange.. :D:D:D

I agree 100%...no one would ever believe it if it weren't in black and white.

Again, Tom - many thanks for a wonderful piece.

Hi

It is a cool helmet...
I cannot even start imagine were you find a helmet like that. Lol

Items like this is what i love about the hobby, "they didn't do that" until you get information that totally opens up the theories.

Regards

Tom