M1917A1 Liner

P-40Warhawk

P-40Warhawk

Here is something you don't see everyday! Several years ago AGM had two unused M1917A1 helmet liners for sale (this is one of them) that hadn't been installed into helmets, and thus were subject only to time and shelf wear. No oil from hair or skin darkened the leather, and no collector's preservative was ever slathered across the leather. If you ever wondered how the leather ties were secured on the crown pad, wonder no more. Sorry for the not so great photos, but it is late and I couldn't get good lighting. IIRC AGM's listing mentioned that these were unused but had been manufactured for the M1917 conversions of leftover WWI helmets.

liner1.jpg

liner2.jpg

Now that is interesting. I have my Dad's M1917A1 that he was issued in 1940, and the pad is mounted on top of, rather than tucked under, the flaps as on the one pictured. The ties connect the pad directly to the flaps. It is all very brittle, so I cannot tell if they go through the metal straps or not. Over the years I have seen them installed both ways on many helmets. I've wondered what was the correct way, or if there was such a thing. Thank you for documenting your liner.

Mikie

everforward

Now that is interesting. I have my Dad's M1917A1 that he was issued in 1940, and the pad is mounted on top of, rather than tucked under, the flaps as on the one pictured. The ties connect the pad directly to the flaps. It is all very brittle, so I cannot tell if they go through the metal straps or not. Over the years I have seen them installed both ways on many helmets. I've wondered what was the correct way, or if there was such a thing. Thank you for documenting your liner.

Mikie

I had an unissued M1917A1 once myself, and IIRC the pad itself is the portion of the liner assembly that is supposed to contact the top of your head. Mine was made/tied in the same way you describe.

Dad's is far from unissued condition. He wore it from 1940-1942, when he sent it home. It was tucked away in the basement for 20 years or so before we dug it out and played with it. But as far as I remember, the pad was as pictured here. The leather tie disintegrated years ago and I used some thread to tie the pad in place, but this is how it always was positioned. I can say for certain, that the pad like this does feel lumpy on my head, but that is just me. Maybe different manufacturers made them different ways?

post-2687-0-14977400-1524245679_thumb.jpg

Mikie

I think the correct way is like the one shown in the first photo with the crown pad tied to the frame, but Im sure lots of soldiers tied it anyway that felt comfortable

looks like the holes on the frame were made for the pad to be tied to it