Help with Information about Vet

tfhiii

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping that someone could help me track down information about Charles Goodwin (based on information on his foot locker), as I've had no luck so far. The foot locker was purchased by my dad at an estate sale in Raleigh, N.C. in the mid- to late 1980s. Any help or recommendations for searches would be appreciated.Thanks.

Tom

post-162853-0-96546000-1524174906_thumb.jpg

post-162853-0-48538400-1524175231.jpg

The only place I could find anything on him is in the Army Register of Officers. Shows he retired as a Major in the Reserves on 2 June 1947.

a1.jpg

This shows his address as 200 Hudson St, Raleigh, NC at the time of his death. Note that his occupation listed is "Engineer". Also note his middle name is "Louis". His death certificate shows his immediate cause of death was stroke.

a3.jpg

Charles L. Goodwin's wife's obituary:

Olive Goodwin

Obituary

GOODWIN, Olive Olive Brown Goodwin, age 88 of North Charleston, passed away on February 13, 2008. She was the wife of the late Charles L. Goodwin. Mrs. Goodwin was born April 13, 1919 in Kinston N.C. She was the daughter of the late Albert and Margaret Brown. Survivors include her two children. Chip Goodwin of Kingsport, TN and daughter Kay Uptegrove of Hanahan, S.C. , four grandchildren, Dr. Russell Uptegrove of Springboro, O.H. ; Ellen Allen of Charlotte, N.C.; David Goodwin of Charlotte, N.C. and Caroline Kelley of Hilton Head, S.C., five great-grandchildren Bradley and Meredith Allen of Charlotte N.C.; Laurin and Katherine Uptegrove of Springboro, O.H. and Nina Goodwin of Charlotte, N.C. Mrs. Goodwin is also survived by one brother, Charles R. Brown of Kinston, N.C. and many nieces and nephews. A memorial service will be held in North Carolina.

1934 "Agromeck" - NC State College Yearbook - Raleigh, NC - Names in Listing

Seniors Include (All from NC unless otherwise noted):

Charles Louis Goodwin - Raleigh

Thank you very much aznation for the information and taking the time to help me!

My father used the locker for years for storage, but I always wondered about who Captain Goodwin was and his background and service. Its nice to have history that I can keep and pass along with it. As a side note, I think that N. C. State has always been well known as an engineering school, so its neat to know that Mr. Goodwin received at least some of his education there and probably put it to use during the war.

Tom

You're welcome Tom. Glad I could help. It's a nicely stenciled foot locker. I think you're probably correct about Mr. Goodwin regarding him possibly learning engineering there at N. C. state and putting that knowledge to use during the war.

Well, I guess Charles was actually an engineer. Just found where he was an engineer for the North Carolina State Highway Commission.

North Carolina State Highway Commission

Bridge Design Division

The primary responsibility of the Bridge Design Division is the design

and preparation of plans for bridges and drainage structures.

The Bridge Design Department has a woman Engineer, Mrs. Annie Ruth

Sugg, (left), Charlie Goodwin (center) Engineer, and R. V. Bennett, Pro-

ject Engineer are shown above working at their desks.

a1.jpg

The only place I could find anything on him is in the Army Register of Officers. Shows he retired as a Major in the Reserves on 2 June 1947.

The "K1" retirement code = Retirement Disability

Wow, quite an accomplished man! I wish I had asked my dad if he had seen anything else service-related at the estate sale, although I do have a U.S. Army amplifier that I believe he bought at the same sale and it probably belonged to Mr. Goodwin.

Thanks for the additional information. Its nice to have photos to put together with the other documents.

Tom

Here is the amplifier that I mentioned (sorry for the orientation of the photo as I originally photographed it upside down by mistake so I flipped it for this posting). I'm pretty sure that it came from the Goodwin estate sale, along with the foot locker. I'm not sure if it is WWII or post war. I can't quite make it out but I believe that the orange-colored stamp says MAR 1957 but not sure. Interestingly, another orange stamp is of an anchor. The amplifier weighs a ton, but still is a pretty neat piece.

Tom

post-162853-0-61484600-1524344276_thumb.jpg

post-162853-0-87728400-1524344322_thumb.jpg

Pretty cool amplifier. It is part of an overall Public Address system. The amplifier itself should weigh about 75lbs, so it is heavy. Here is some pics from the manual. You can look at the full manual here => http://www.bunkerofdoom.com/mil/AN_TIQ2/AM-20_TIQ-2.PDF

The manual is dated November 1955, so I'm going to say the amplifier is most likely post-war.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

Very cool. I know why the amplifier probably appealed to my dad.He was a cryptologist in the USAF during the Korean War and was part of the 581st communication group. When I get a chance I'm going to post some pics from his album, and some of his uniform/fatigues, ect. as well as items he collected while overseas. Most, if not all of his fatigues, were old stock WWII, as well as his field caps and so forth. He even collected dropped U. S. bullets from the beaches at Luzon and photographed burned-out Japanese tanks in the jungle.

Tom

Yes, please do post some pics from you father's album when you get a chance. They sound like they could be very interesting.