Textured SC Liner

Frogskin7

How common are these textured Saint Clair Liners? All other SCs have normal paint.

This came as a set with a Fixed bail shell and is in basically mint condition except for the little paint drops on the front.

The leather on both the sweatband and chinstraps are both soft.

Took this photo with the flash on:

post-173712-0-01944200-1524153426_thumb.jpeg

manayunkman

One thing I can say is that the bulges on each side of the liner are caused by a helmet cover.

One thing I can say is that the bulges on each side of the liner are caused by a helmet cover.

SC Liners all have that similar shape.

Fits like a glove

post-173712-0-23964200-1524154629_thumb.jpeg

I have to agree that this is the usual SC liner shape. I also have a textured SC liner. I believe that SC started experimenting with textured paint at the end of 1942. They continued this until the moment they stopped the production of liners. The shade of green may differ towards the end (it went lighter in colour.) You can also see examples with a light shade of green textured paint and dark coloured green rivet heads.

post-169612-0-94432500-1524158143_thumb.jpg

Rene

iron bender

That is a really nice helmet liner. I think this is about the only example I'm missing from my pile. One day....fingers crossed it will be in this good of condition.

Burning Hazard

That's a minty one, I like it!

I used to own a textured SC liner, I would say they are as scarce as many of the the transitional liners out there, they'll pop up here and there.

Also, all SC liners had the sides cut out to that shape, this is what made SC liners unique as they were the only ones who did this.

General Bradley wore an SC liner which has that unique cut:

post-8715-0-58179200-1524169451_thumb.jpg

manayunkman

Up until the 1990s, to me all helmets were the same.

It's taken me a long time and buying a good chunk the old 193rd and PANG surplus helmets in 1999, to learn this stuff.

That barely tought me the difference between WW2 and post war liners.

Thank you for this nugget.

I believe the textured St Clair's were only made a month.

That's very interesting. Where did you find this information?

I met a gentleman who was a long time collector who really knew his stuff, and he told me they were only made for one month. He even knew the month, I just don't remember what he said. I think I ran across that in one of my books also.

I met a gentleman who was a long time collector who really knew his stuff, and he told me they were only made for one month. He even knew the month, I just don't remember what he said. I think I ran across that in one of my books also.

Looks like I'm gonna have to do my research

It's in Oosterman's helmet book if you want me to look it up... It indeed is a very rare bird.

That would be great!

Very interesting! I wasnt aware SC made textured liners. Any thoughts as to why to texture the liner in the first place?

My understanding is that it was done for the same reason the helmets were corked, to reduce the amount of light reflected. I believe I also read that there was a period when jungle troops were only issued liners and not helmets. It's possible that was part of the reasoning for developing textured liners. However, I'm not sure of the timing of everything, so it may also be the case that the Westinghouse jungle liners were already in production by the time liners started to receive textured paint.