Do WWII historicals exist for aircraft in the archives?

mmerc20

I'm hoping someone can help. I have a tough question.

When aircraft were sold for surplus following WWII, did the military/government retain any documents/historical records on the planes? I have been helping an owner of a former L-4 that is trying to determine its history. He knows it was stationed here at Camp Butner, NC but since it was assigned here for training, it did not belong to any specific unit.

It came to the camp sometime in 1944 so my best guess is it was used by the 89th Infantry for aerial observer training (we had an airstrip that was used since late 1942 for that purpose). Just like today, I would have assumed the historical records would have transferred with the airframe when it was sold but those are lost to history. If copies of historicals, sale records, etc exist, where would they reside? If they are in the archives, what record group would be best to look at first?

Thanks so much,

Mike

Hello:

If you know the aircraft type and S/N you can obtain the "Individual Aircraft Record Card" that has history of a given aircraft on it. You can request an IARC card from:

AIR FORCE HISTORICAL RESEARCH AGENCY

600 CHENNUALT CIRCLE

BUILDING 1405
MAXWELL AFB, AL 36112-6424
Good luck

• 1 month later...

I found the air and space museum holds the aircraft record cards on microfilm and after I requested a copy from them, it took about 3 weeks and I received it in the mail with a nice letter explaining what all the abbreviations meant and everything.

Definitely good information to know and store in the back of your mind if you might be doing research in the future.

Mike