A Different Duffel

M60 Driver

I never thought I would encounter a duffel bag of interest, but this one came into the store today and it is indeed different, or at least the material is quite different than the regular cordura material that has been standard for a few decades now. I think the material is nylon and not cordura, with a bulkier weave. This may have been a brief transitional issue between the canvas and the cordura weave bag. I am not certain my photo clearly shows the difference in weave.

post-779-1227387635.jpg

Um, Cordura is nylon, but the weave in the pics looks like that of a kit bag I got issued in the late 80s. If I'm reading the DSA number right, it was made for a 1974 contract.

Yes, cordura is a synthetic nylon in one sense, but to those of us selling outdoor products, a cordura bag has a different texture, a different feel, or in the vernacular, a different hand than does a nylon bag. Cordura hs a slightly rougher feel, a less slippery feel. There is also a significant price difference between a cordura bag and a more ordinary nylon bag. I clearly lack the vocabulary, but the look and feel of this duffel is not the same as the countless cordura military duffels I have sold over the past many decades. I too have seen this particular fabric and weave elsewhere, I just can't recall where. I just have never seen it in a full size two strap duffel.

It just might be something only a surplus store owner like myself, who has handled literally hundreds of duffel bags, would even take notice.

I have had a couple of them, they are terrible when a seam pulls loose, they will completely unravel and come apart. That may be the reason they are hard to find. I will see if I still have one in my stock.

I have had a couple of them, they are terrible when a seam pulls loose, they will completely unravel and come apart.

Yes, and this is why a cordura sports bag is significantly more expensive than an ordinary nylon bag. Upon further research I have also learned that the generation of fabric material now licensed as cordura, was not commercially available until the latter half of the 1970s.