The Ultimate Purple Heart Irony

lettow

This group sold today in a Spink auction. The recipient, F-r-*-n-k J C-*-s-h-n-e-r, was the founder of the MOPH.

Do you think it will be returned to the family?

post-130897-0-37822100-1523995303.jpg

I think it denotes Marines who served in France in a non combat capacity, generally the fifth Marines who arrived after the armistice. I don’t remember seeing one married to a star also,and the PH doesn’t really fit that description either 9unless the PH was for action elsewhere or post wart. Would love to hear from others.

easterneagle87

Several years ago I had both USMC Good Conduct and Victory Medal w/Maltese Cross in one group and let them go. And the buyer didn't want to keep them together. Wish I had kept them now. What is a "Spink" auction?

Nice medal set, I did not realize Spink was having an auction today? They are having a large one with British medals later in April? Eastern Spink is a auction company UK based I believe that mainly deals in medals/medal groupings!

Ok...I’m new round here...don’t understand the significance of the auction company nor the individual who acquired these....

Anyone care to fill a newb in via PM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok...Im new round here...dont understand the significance of the auction company nor the individual who acquired these....

Anyone care to fill a newb in via PM?

The auction company is not important. The MOPH supports the bill in Congress that would prohibit the sale of PH medals.

The auction company is not important. The MOPH supports the bill in Congress that would prohibit the sale of PH medals.

Understand, thanks!

The Maltese Cross is to denote service with the Marines, combat or not.

So can we re-visit this again a bit. Combat Marines in WWI will not have the Maltese cross on the victory ribbon, they will have the battle bars. I think the better definition has been stated in the post, that the Maltese cross was for Marines serving in France who didnt qualify for battle bars. So maybe it is possible the single star on this ribbon bar denotes defensive sector?? Still doesnt explain the Purple Heart in this group. Has anyone done any research to see where this marine was wounded? Just super curious. Kevin

Here are the medals of a Marine who served with the 5th Brigade and did not see combat. He was a MP. He has the Maltese Cross with the France bar.

Dick

post-9487-0-79284900-1524170394_thumb.jpg