Type 10 Japanese Knee Mortar (27th Infantry vet bring back)

chils123

I bought this Type 10 Knee Mortar from the vet's son a few weeks ago. I just finished having it demilled, so I thought I'd share it.

This was brought home by Andrew Zajackowski, who served in the 27th Infantry Division in the 102nd Engineer Battalion. His son said he was a combat veteran of both the fighting on Saipan and Okinawa. Unfortunately he passed away in 1963. His son said he spoke little of the war, so he didn't have too much to add about his service during the conflict.

The Type 10 he brought back was made in Showa 13 (1939) near the end of production. These are different from the more famous Type 89 launcher in that they are not rifled, fire a Type 91 grenade rather that the Type 89 shell, and used a gas vent on the back of the launcher to determine range, rather than the adjustable knob on a Type 89. The whole mortar actually dissembles and stores inside the tube when being carried.

I am very glad I have been able to document the vet's history and continue to preserve it to this piece of history.

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

IMG_2747.jpg

111210682_136961704677.jpg

post-175636-0-99864400-1523991435.jpg

USCapturephotos

Wow. That is really interesting. I was not familiar with the Type 10. Great that you have the history. Sad to see that the veteran died so early in his life.

Paul

That is an incredible bringback. Dad was in the 27th on Okinawa, and by a sheer coincidence, I just posted about the Machinato bridges built by the 102nd Engineers.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/308890-the-most-remarkable-photo-of-wwii-at-least-to-me/?p=2482708

In Love's division history, he writes about the heroic efforts of the 102nd to build, maintain and defend the bridges. It's almost like a mini-Remagen.

Mikie

Thanks everyone for the comments! I appreciate it. It's a really nice piece and I'm glad I can preserve the history behind it. That's why I like Japanese items, because many have the US soldier or sailor history too.

That is an incredible bringback. Dad was in the 27th on Okinawa, and by a sheer coincidence, I just posted about the Machinato bridges built by the 102nd Engineers.
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/308890-the-most-remarkable-photo-of-wwii-at-least-to-me/?p=2482708

In Love's division history, he writes about the heroic efforts of the 102nd to build, maintain and defend the bridges. It's almost like a mini-Remagen.

Mikie

Mikie,

Thank you for the link. I read your thread and I'll check out the link to the story of the bridges later today. I really have to wonder if the vet who brought this back was involved in that.

I received a few messages concerned if this piece was properly demilled. I didn't include a photo of the cut because, frankly, who wants to see that, haha! But here's a photo of the cut. It also has a barrel obstruction, as required by law. Hated to do it, but it's the only option when it's never been registered.

post-175636-0-96555900-1524154794_thumb.jpg

The son provided me with a photo of the vet in uniform and his discharge papers from post WWII. Seems he stayed in after 1946 in the reserves? Seems the patch on his uniform is for the 4th Service Command, from what I've researched? I'm wondering if this was his post WWII uniform? I'm not an expert in this by any means, so please advise on this, haha! Thanks everyone!

1.jpg

Dad_in_MP-page-001.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
LibertyDivision

Wow. That is a great example Knee mortar. Plus to have all the solid veteran information is stunning.

• 4 weeks later...

WOW!!! Absolutely fantastic Bringback, I've had a couple knee mortars over the years but not one like this or in that condition!! Beautiful

Fritz

The son provided me with a photo of the vet in uniform and his discharge papers from post WWII. Seems he stayed in after 1946 in the reserves? Seems the patch on his uniform is for the 4th Service Command, from what I've researched? I'm wondering if this was his post WWII uniform? I'm not an expert in this by any means, so please advise on this, haha! Thanks everyone!

1.jpg

Dad_in_MP-page-001.jpg

The uniform in the picture appears to be his early uniform worn state side.

Nice bring back

The uniform in the picture appears to be his early uniform worn state side.

Nice bring back

Agreed, No service ribbons are worn. He also apparently was an MP first, and what an interesting way he using what appears to be Crossed Pistols removed from srcewback collar discs to wear on the lower lapels!